Thursday, July 1, 2010

I've been waiting all week for this...

Do you ever get an inkling for an outfit (or a meal or anything else that's generally pretty inconsequential but still rather enjoyable nonetheless), plan it to fall right on a day that something else happens (to multiply the special-ness), and then just get so excited that you can barely sleep the night before?  Today was like that, except I slept like a baby last night.

I thought of this outfit a few days ago and I knew it would be awesome.  Today was Social Media Day.  And since I'm one of those lucky people that actually gets paid to use Twitter and Facebook on a daily basis, and since Sacramento is quite the hotbed of social media activity (I was pleasantly surprised), I got to go to the social media day lunch hosted by News 10, the local ABC affiliate.  We skype-d with another celebrating tweet-up from across the pond in Manchester (UK), heard about how News 10 was using social media to give the community a voice, and got a sweet tour of the studio.

Now bear with me a second while I wax poetic.  Ever since I fell down the stairs (okay, a stair) on Monday and got a parking ticket on Tuesday, I've been in a huge funk, both at work and at home.  My boss is on vacation this week, meaning I basically had all week to pound away on my projects before next week hits and we're back running behind again.  On the top of my list is researching, interviewing for, and then writing four articles for our fall magazine, which are all due in July (says me, managing editor).  Yes, I pour my heart out on here, and if you ever met me I'm sure I'd be loud and overshare, but I am petrified of calling strangers and taking the first step.  Thus explains a lot of my graduate school procrastination.  When I'm inspired, things aren't so hard.

But this week has definitely been under a cloud.  So I pulled out my power shoes (despite my ankle still being sore from the fall), tried out the perpetually wrinkled skirt again (now starched), and marched head on into my workday, which included two interviews for articles, my super-fun extra-long lunch, and a quick magazine status check-in with the CEO.  I took these photos in the morning, but I'm sure if I took them later on I'd have an even bigger smile on my face (and even more wrinkles in the skirt).

Necklace: Gottschalks - 2009 - $6; Tee: ?? - 2010 - swapped; Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft - 2010 - $59; Shoes: Target - 2010 - $25; Bangles: Kohl's - 2009 - ?; Watch: Ann Klein (Macy's) - 2008 - $50


You may remember this was my cheat skirt.  While the suit wasn't super-flattering on its own (even aside from the wrinkles) I knew before I cut the tags off that they'd be even better as separates.  So I'm going to start wearing them as such.  I like that today's look was relaxed and comfy but still polished.  It is slightly short, but I knew I could get away with it today since I was going to be out of the office a lot and had no formal meetings. 

So there you go, my pick-me-up outfit of the week.

What picks you up when you're in a personal or professional funk?

p.s. If you like social media, too, let's be Twitter friends.

4 comments:

  1. Nice skirt! You make me want to go into Ann Taylor Loft for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like anything bright colored. I find that even if I'm in a bad mood, a bright necklace or shirt makes me feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pick me ups:

    Learning a new skill or a higher level of a current one. (I am big on personal and professional development.)

    Taking the time to dress really nice, meaning pulling every element together from polishing my shoes, really styling your hair and carefully accessorizing. (I am usually running out the door in whatever is clean and pressed.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tips, ladies!

    @ watchyourmouth - I generally really like Ann Taylor Loft skirts, but just be aware...this one is made from cotton voile (according to the website) and wrinkles like nothing I've ever seen! The non-cotton voile skirts I have are fine, though.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.