Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Crossing over


After nine days, I've hit the wall.  I could not think of a good outfit this morning, and none of the 30 outfits on my list could satisfy me. I knew I had to wear the pants, since they're the only bottom I haven't yet worn, and since today was the coldest day of the week (it's supposed to get to triple digits later and I don't want to be stuck in black pants then!).

So what did I do?  I grabbed my old ratty go-to floral tank.  You know, the one you toss on over any random pajama tank on a weekend or laundry day and then call it an outfit?  Well, it apparently works for work, too (with a coverup, that is).  This thing is so faded from all the wear, even though it's only a year and a half old. It was a Christmas present from my sister-in-law...she always finds the best stuff in perfectly my size (even though sizes vary from brand to brand, she always picks the one that fits perfectly).  Plus the balloony fit hid the muffin-top (why oh why did I pick a pair of pants that barely fits?).

All in all, it was just an all around bummy day.  I was way lazy with my hair--tossed it in a low ponytail, wrapped and pinned some hair around the elastic, and hairsprayed my bangs until they stuck to the side of my head.  I called it "slick" but it was really pretty lame.

This is how I felt.  My buddy J said, "Do something goofy," and he got this.

Do you mix your casual wear into your work outfits?  How do you style it?

6 comments:

  1. Your blog is super cute and thoughtful! (Nice question/prompts at the end of your posts.) I think what you did - mix/layer in a casual "loose" piece with structured work pieces - is perfect. Sometimes adding certain accessories helps dress "up" casual pieces - belts, jewelry, shoes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this outfit! It's very lovely for work, but could even work later in the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most casual thing that I often mix in is simple t-shirts from LOFT, which I have about 6 of in various jewel toned colors :P I generally put them with fancier skirts and then wear a cardigan & some nice jewelry. No one seems to notice that I'm wearing a plain, v-neck t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you look great! I love the way you paired your jacket with the tank to make it more work appropriate. We all want clothes that can be versatile, no?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the picture, hahah, good times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, gals. What you can't see is how faded and pilly that shirt actually is. I think I'll play around more with how it could go with work clothes (gotta use every bit of my 30 pieces, you know).

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.