Friday, July 30, 2010

Visual interest

A few weeks back I expounded the beauty of stripes, saying I wasn't much of a floral, dot, or graphics kind of girl. Well, turns out if the print is abstract enough, they are just right up my alley.  I'm not talking impressionism here, just prints that you can't really describe because they don't really look like anything, except for possibly geometric shapes.

While florals communicate femininity and stripes more preppiness (neither of these bad things at all), graphic prints are more interesting...sometimes you just don't know what to make of it, except that the wearer is not just a solids type of gal. For the office, graphic prints can show up anywhere...on a skirt in the summer or a trench in the winter, or even on your desk (like my bulletin boards).

The great thing about graphic prints is that you can do them loud and proud or you can be more subtle about it. Most of my picks are on the subtle side, but if you want to really jump into the prints arena, look for something that has a variety of colors rather than just two or three.  

What do you look for in a graphic print?

5 comments:

  1. I love the colors and patterns of the first top. I think it'd look cute with a pair of jeans and boots.

    The purse is cute, but I'm not sure about purchasing a printed purse for myself yet.

    Lovely post.

    http://www.stylethroughhereyes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the choices you have posted. I like florals, stripes and dots but have gotten way more interested in unusual prints like these because they feel more unique. I like the idea that it can be worn so many different ways and that they stand out even if they are subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a variety of patterns. I don't really know what I look for in a graphic print...I just know what I like when I see it.

    Side note, I love that bag. LOVE it. It would go with everything. Why does it have to be Marc?! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you hit it on the dot, Jeanna. You can't describe it, but you know it when you see it.

    I totally love the bag as well. I debated not putting it on the list (I try not to include items on my blog that I wouldn't buy myself), but this was just too perfect and I couldn't find any comparable at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Adler bag. Totally my style. I have a Kathy Van Zeland similar to it. The best part about the graphic prints is indeed the fact that you can wear them to stand out at a party or tone the loudness down with a nice cardigan at the office. They are very versatile and a lot of fun to wear! That is the catogory I tend to branch out in my colors. Creates a fun wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.