Friday, July 30, 2010

B is for basic

J. Crew shirt (2) + BR Factory pants (16) + Enzo Angiolini peep-toes (25) + vintage belt + random ball-chain necklaces


B is for basic.  Basic as opposed to boring. Because the two are not the same.  I've struggled with my wardrobe at different points in time because either a) I didn't have enough basics (I didn't own a single plain black t-shirt or khaki pants until about 4 years ago...everything was colorful, graphic, or patterned) or b) I didn't have enough variety (everything was solid).  Slowly, but surely, I am trying to find a balance between the two.

Today is more of a reflection of my current state: I have a lot of basics.  Which is not a bad thing. I like basic. I like basic because you know it's going to work, and when you pick the right basic pieces fit-wise you know it's going to work well.  I like basic because it provides a good backdrop for accessories.  Most of all, I like basic because it reflects my personality. No, that doesn't mean I have no color to my life. But I can be honest to a fault.

I wasn't always that way. When I wore more prints and colors, I was a lot more hyper and always aflutter, but not always genuine. It hid my discomfort as an awkward teenager and college student.  As I've grown into my personality, I've developed a deep appreciation for basics...white t-shirts, unadorned jeans, the classic ponytail.  That isn't to say that I don't throw it all in and let go every once in a while (or pretty regularly).  The key is comfort, and I'm not talking physical. I feel like I could lead a meeting, interview a story subject, or jump around with glee in this outfit.

Enough rambling, though. Today my outfit definitely screamed me. It was basic, with a bit of surprise thrown in...I know most people gave up ball-chains around the time Blink 182 broke up, but I still wear them on a regular basis and have them in multiple sizes and metal-tones.  The only difference is that now instead of piecing together segments from keychains and backpack pulls to make a full necklace, I buy these clasped ones from the department store (or did years ago). Why do things have to get more pricey as we get older?

What type(s) of clothing reflects your personality best? 

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree - basic doesn't have to mean boring! I have enjoyed seeing you style your 30 items in such different ways that it's hard to notice that you're only wearing 30 things! I am trying to gear myself up for the challenge next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basics are not boring! They're the foundation to your wardrobe.
    Looking in my closet, you'd never know that, because I apparently never wear my basics (ha!). I'm much too into colors and patterns, but I adore basics, and I own many.

    It's kinda like that saying in art- you have to know how to do it right, before you can break all the rules. Picasso learned to paint "correctly" before he became what we all know him for today. Fashion/style is like that. You have to know how to put basics together before you can mix it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your jcrew shirt was $2? that's pretty dang awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ eek - Thanks!

    @ suze - I think basics can be colorful as well. And I think you do a good job of spicing up your basics in such a way we don't even realize it's a basic!

    @ t - Actually, it's number 2 of my 30 for 30 (from the inventory list). It was actually $20 (on sale).

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.