Friday, July 9, 2010

Feel the warmth

I don't know about you, but one of the things I dislike the most about summer is the constant flux in temperature going from triple-digit outdoor temperatures to indoor temps up to 20 degrees cooler.  I know how to dress for warm weather and how to dress for cool weather, but to have to dress for both at the same time?  Gives me headaches.

So what's a working girl to do? I can't bring my closet around with me everyday to dress for two seasons.  Solution: leave a neutral, warm coverup at work (or blast the space heater, which in our building is actually not allowed...something about fire hazards or whatever).

Common options include wraps, cardigans, and blazers (our take on the mens standby sportcoat, which a lot of my male workers keep at work in their offices).  I prefer wraps so I can fit a variety of tops underneath without worrying about wrinkling my sleeves.  But then again, a loose cardigan could do the trick.

Here are some of my picks for warm coverups to keep at your desk.


Do you keep a coverup at your desk?  Cardigan, blazer, wrap, or something else completely?

5 comments:

  1. I have two boyfriend cardis from Old Navy that I bought one size bigger to fit over whatever I'm wearing. They were like $6-something on clearance, so I grabbed cream and gray. No matter what I'm wearing, one of them will go with it. They even look kind of cute over the back of my chair when I'm not wearing them.

    Love that Mossimo open cardi...can't believe I haven't seen it before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't keep a coverup at my desk, but I do have a space heater! It runs almost the whole summer...and the whole winter too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i worked in a corporate office in DC i kept a white blazer at my desk. It served a few purposes, always there to keep me warm, and just the thing to corporate-up and outfit in case we had clients coming into the office.

    I know a few people in the office i work at now that have blankets stashed in their cube because the temperature difference is so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been LOVING short sleeve cardigans just for this reason. It's not hot enough in San Diego quite yet to not be able to wear it outside (we get this weird gloomy weather in June/early July, no heat wave here!), so I've been wearing my 3 SS cardis to work and while AT work! We also have actual offices as opposed to cubicles, and the temp adjustment for our row is in my office so I've hiked it up successfully so it's not as frigid in here as it has been in other offices I've worked in. I've definitely done the space heater! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

    @ Jenni - LOL at the blankets. When one of my coworkers was preggos in the winter, I suggested she grab a down throw and pin it around like a shawl so she wouldn't have to buy a new jacket for winter.

    @ Sara - So jealous of your temp control! In my boss's office (an actual office) it's actually worse. My cube gets some of the outside air due to the window (even though our building claims to have energy star certification or something).

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.