Friday, July 16, 2010

Read between the lines

I am not a florals girl, a polka dot girl, a graphic print girl, or a cutesy print girl.  I appreciate these patterns, but am not usually drawn to them.  What I am, is a stripes girl. Wide stripe, narrow stripe, rainbow stripe, zebra stripe...there are very few stripes that I am not a fan of.

That said, stripes are an easy pattern to incorporate into your office wear.  What's more patriotic than a blue and white striped oxford?  Not much.  I love mine to death (and can't imagine for the life of me why I didn't include it in my 30).

I like stripes because they are simple without being boring.  Florals say girly.  Polka dots say cute.  While these are all great things (and I certainly am pretty girly and sometimes cute), they may not be the message you want to send in the workplace.  Stripes are a neutral.

Here are some of my picks for stripes in the office:


Okay, so maybe I'm a bit biased toward having a white in your stripe (it's one of my favorite colors and makes everything look so crisp).  That Gap dress would need a cute blazer over the top, but the length is about right and the fabric is great for summer.  I could see that Forever 21 sweater tucked into a pencil skirt or left out over some narrow cropped trousers.

Are you a florals, dot, print, or stripes gal?  Does your workwear reflect that?

5 comments:

  1. I love floral prints, polka dots and stripes! They're all such fun patterns.

    Like your blog and will be checking out your blog recommendations.

    http://www.stylethroughhereyes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait till you see the striped shirt dress I bought. It is almost stripe overload! I fully plan on wearing it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love stripes too. and they're about as close as i get to "patterns", ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a stripes person too. My natural style is pretty conservative so stripes it is.
    Olusola

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I love stripes and I had several striped items in college, but I just realized I think I only have one striped item that fits--a classic blue and white striped oxford (the other--my blue and white striped shorts--are my goal for getting back into shape...almost there!). Definitely need to stock up on more stripes when I can shop again.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.