Friday, July 16, 2010

I love being a girl!


I struggled with adding dresses to my 30 items.  On one hand, they are a complete outfit in themselves.  On the other, it's more difficult (for me, at least) to restyle them in different ways.  Take this dress for instance.  I've shown it on the blog once before, and all I did was change necklaces and shoes.

In college, my friends and I were really into those "would you rather..." questions.  My friend Abby even had a whole book of them.  A common WYR question that I've actually put some thought into is "Would you rather be a guy or a girl?"  And although I'm not your typical girly girl, I am proud to be a girl all the way.  All summer I've been telling my male coworkers "Gosh, it's nice and cool in this 97 degree heat when I'm wearing a skirt and sleeveless shell."  So as superficial as it may sound, one of the reasons I love being a girl is the fact that I get to wear skirts.

One thing about this dress--it's a bit shorter than I would typically wear to work (or recommend that others would).  So I wear it sparingly.  I would definitely not wear this to a meeting.  But on a sit-at-your-desk day, it's okay.  The covered up top balances it out, and closed-toe shoes add a little more of a polished look.

Found this ring in my jewelry drawer. It's from Claire's, or the Icing, or one of those little mall shops full of shiny things. I bought it probably 6-7 years ago.  Isn't it fun?

Do you stick to a hard-and-fast knee-length rule for skirts or do you push the limits a little?

11 comments:

  1. LOVE this dress...It looks great on you!

    As far as the skirt length goes, I try to keep work skirts around knee-length, but every now and then I push the limits a bit. Since I'm short, I feel like I can get away with a slightly shorter hemline than my taller counterparts can...or at least that's the argument I use to justify wearing a shorter-than-knee-length skirt to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like Jeanna, I try to keep it just above the knee but I have a couple that are slightly shorter. I am 5ft 3in so maybe I can get away with it? I do wear shorter skirts and dresses in the fall and winter and wear dark tights, it works fine then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress looks GREAT on you! If your work involves sitting in chairs and meetings, then this length (just above knee) works fine, no serious risk of high/thigh exposure. As a middle school teacher, I try to stick to the school's dress code for students in terms of skirt length. I suppose elementary school teachers have to sit on low chairs and the carpet, so skirts in general are risky proposition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress! I don't think the dress is too short, I think it is perfect. I struggle with lengths because of my height, which is usually why I don't wear dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also don't think the dress is too short, but I know why you feel like it is! I have a couple of skirts that I only sparingly wear to work for the same reason, but with tights & boots or heels & a cardi in the winter, I feel more comfortable wearing something that length! :) (And in fact I hate wearing high boots with rather long skirts cause it makes my legs look short!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. go green! i like! you're lucky to have this dress. it's something that you can jazz up or dress down...happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few of you ladies mentioned height...I do think that might have something to do with it. I'm 5'4, so even if the hemline is shorter I'm probably still showing less skin than a 5'8 girl in a knee-length skirt. I think the flats balance it out, too.

    Has anyone else ever heard the "rule" the higher the hemline, the lower your shoeline should be? For example, short skirts + high boots = hooker. But short skirt + pump (or other low-cut shoe) is okay. I try to play by that rule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the comment on my blog!

    I really love that green dress. I don't think it's too short, just above the knee is fine with me (and that's what flatters me the most). I also work in an office (so I sit almost all day) and that's the lenght of the majority of my skirts. I could probably go shorter then that, if so, I would wear it with flats or with opaque tights (for winter). Sometimes I also like to wear it with black skinny pants (again, more for winter).

    ReplyDelete
  9. The green dress is lovely! I agree with the other comments that it's not necessarily too short for you. The color is really great!

    - Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am definitely a push the limited on the dress length kind of girl. I would wear that dress to work without ever thinking twice about the length. I also don't work in a super corporate environment. I have, however, been known to wear dress that definitely shouldn't be worn to work on the days I have to meet with my manager... whoops. But typically she just comments on how cute i look and never even mentions the length, but I know in other offices I couldn't get away with some of my work where here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful dress. So classic and well-cut. It's not too short at all, in fact, I think it would be perfect for a meeting, especially since the top has full coverage and sleeves.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.