Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hanging out

office fashion blogger angeline evans brown old navy tweed trousers gap blazer gold necklaces long pumps
office fashion blogger angeline evans brown old navy tweed trousers gap blazer american eagle ring etsy
office fashion blogger angeline evans brown old navy tweed trousers gap blazer american eagle gold necklaces long


The Rundown:
Gap blazer - 2005 -$40 (similar)
BR top - 2009 - $20 (similar)
Old Navy trousers - 2006 - $6 (similar)
CK pumps - 2007 - $70 (similar)
AE necklace (with silver balls) - 2010 - $7 (similar here and here)
AE ring - 2010 - $15 (here)
Nancy Rosetta circle ring - 2010 - gift (here)

What worked:
As you may remember from my last post (which was a pre-haircut look), I wondered what a blazer might be like with these tweed pants. Since that was a few weeks ago, I thought it would be nice to try it out this week.  And you know what? I love it. The structure of the blazer works nicely with the loose trouser leg.  The braided edge of the shirt and the layered necklaces and rings add some fun details to my normal black + brown look (seriously, I'm addicted to the combo).

This long necklace is really a hack of a shorter, two-strand necklace.  See the ring and bar that are meant to clasp the two layers together? I think it adds some fun asymmetry. 

What didn't:
Buttoning up the jacket would have made for a nice silhouette, but would have interrupted the fall of the necklaces.  I might also try a similar look with a belt next time, or with colorful shoes instead of black (don't worry, I won't post them all week).

What color combos do you find yourself relying on?

Psst! I'm leaning towards signing up for the 30 for 30, workdays only. Who's with me?

13 comments:

  1. I like this look! While hanging up some dry cleaning the other day, I was thinking about how I have so many pairs of slacks that I never wear because I can't think of stylish ways to style them - I think you've given me an idea here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look! You should def join the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm LOVING this! This outfit alone has made me decide that I need to find a top in that exact color PRONTO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading this blog for several months now and I have to say I love the fact that you put what worked and what didn't for each outfit. That helps us readers consider our own outfits and what works and what doesn't. - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to do the 30 for 30 again, but I really have too much going on right now to commit to it...but if you do it, I'd love to see your remixes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog and I love it! I'm a PhD student, so I have some days of the week that I need to look professional and other days not. Great inspiration for me!

    I am doing the 30 for 30 too, and am planning to do it only on weekdays. Because I usually just wear yoga clothes all weekend. :)

    So happy to have found your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ ashley - I love trousers, but they can be hard to style. Often they're a great blank slate for some fun tops and layering.

    @ natalie - I've decided--I'm in!

    @ katy - Thanks! Sort of like your daily tips (which I really like).

    @ Jeanna - I think I'm doing workweek only this time (the weekends were just too hard!).

    @ ms.loaf - Welcome! So glad to have you here. Can't wait to see your 30 for 30 remixes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that blazer! I have a similar one that I got this year (also from Gap) and I love it. It's definitely a great piece to have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Chaucee - Thanks! Aren't blazers awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh, i like the outfit a lot!

    when i travel for just a few days i bring black, white, grey, navy blue, and maybe some red. it sounds boring, but this way i pack less since everything matches (even if something gets too dirty to wear again).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I do that on accident, too. But my colors would more likely be jeans, gray, green, white, brown (basically most of the colors in this pic). I think almost half my items in 30 for 30 are green.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's talk about how your outfit immediately reminded me of this outfit from a guest post I wrote! I was floored, I love it! Lighter pants and brown shoes during warmer weather, perhaps ;)

    Ripped Nylon

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ miss ED - How funny! I think trousers and blazers are always in style :)

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.