Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Schoolboy or stewardess? [12 of 30]

office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional banana republic blazer rockabilly jeans vintage scarf necklace
office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional banana republic blazer rockabilly jeans vintage scarf necklace
office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional banana republic blazer rockabilly jeans vintage scarf necklace
office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional banana republic blazer rockabilly jeans vintage scarf necklace

The Rundown:
3 + 15 + 25 + 29
Vintage scarf - 2010 - $12 (similar)
Artisans Lane Turkish Jewelry necklace - 2010 - gift from mom (available)
Premier Designs crystal earrings - 2010 - $19 (similar)

I call this look "schoolboy chic."  Something about the scarf as a tie and the black blazer with jeans really was very menswear.  Alternately, the scarf tie also reminds me of a flight attendant--good thing I didn't wear this with a pencil skirt and pumps!

I also got new stud earrings! Not during the 30, of course, but a few weeks before. My friend Shawna sells Premier Designs jewelry, and when I found out all their studs have hypoallergenic titanium posts, I was sold. I'm allergic to silver and gold, and it can be difficult to find nice earrings with surgical steel or titanium posts (reason number 572 why I'm hard to shop for).  I ordered these, a pair of pearl dangles, and a jewelry set (which will be a gift). They just arrived on Sunday and I'm loving them (and to be honest, finding it a little hard to let go of that set I bought--so pretty! Someone's getting very lucky this Christmas).

What worked:
The necklace + scarf layering!  I started out with the blouse and necklace, but the expanse of white looked a bit bare, and it was only supposed to be 54 degrees today, so I added the scarf. It goes outside of the collar so it doesn't hide the necklace.  The blue and orange complemen t each other really nicely, too, adding some interest to an otherwise bland outfit.

What didn't:
Not that it didn't work, but I think this would have looked better with skinny jeans and boots than with bootcut jeans. But I wanted to get away from that combo since I've already resorted to that so many times.  What's a challenge if you don't try something new?

How are you getting out of your comfort zone with the challenge? Or if you're not doing the challenge, what's something you'd like to try?

----------------------------------
EDIT/UPDATE
So I totally forgot that Rochelle of Rochelle Approved tagged me to share seven secrets! Not sure if these are secrets, but maybe fun facts.  Here goes...


I have a bad habit of picking off my nail polish. I've read nearly every issue of Sports Illustrated over the past five years (except for the last few, which are sitting on my nightstand).  I love jigsaw puzzles and I have a 3,000 piece one that I haven't finished (yet). I make a killer meatloaf. My favorite movie is Singing in the Rain. I married my first boyfriend. I'm allergic to cats, but determined to get one when we get our own house.


I tag...YOU. Share something in the comments!

28 comments:

  1. i really like your necklace, its a great pop of color. i feel like the scarf or the necklace by itself would have been totally fine, but together seem to fight for attention. or maybe im old fashioned and that's the old way of doing things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd call this outfit...super cool!

    I just posted my 7 facts in outfit n. 16.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a school boy on an airplane? haha. you look great! i love the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I. Love. This. Totally love the scarf as a tie AND with a necklace! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This outfit is super cute- love the way you used this scarf. I have a huge drawer of scarves and am always looking for new ways to incorporate them into my wardrobe... so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the scarf.

    I am always a huge fan of blazers.
    Then to see the closeup of the necklace too. That was a little treat. Nice job layering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAH, I ADORE the necklace/scarf combo. What a great way to wear both at once!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I'm remixing at my blog too, but I just found yours today! Love the scarf/necklace/blouse combo, great idea for me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute - and the fabulous shoes erase any idea of stewardess in my mind. :)

    Also, I have to say - I just noticed your name is Angeline, which is my full name. I've never met anyone outside of my family (I'm named after my great grandma) with this name, so I was kind of excited! Lovely name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cute outfit! love the hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That scarf + necklace look are fabulous !
    I would have never thought of pairing these two mostly because I would *think* that the look would be cluttered and all over the place but NOT - you look amazing, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great mix with the scarf and necklace! Love it! Gotta try it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh the necklace/scarf combo! I might nick the idea from you lol. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you made the scarf look like a tie! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ t - I don't know. But you never know until you try, right? I'm not the one that has to look at it all day so it didn't bother me. :P

    @ alessandra - thanks! (p.s. I'm still scared of some dogs--the ones that jump!)

    @ woodycakes - maybe! I'll have to try this for my next plane trip. haha.

    @ meggers - thanks!

    @ melissa - thank you!

    @ natale - I love scarves! Found this beauty at bows and arrows. During my shopping diet, scarves and belts have really taken the center stage for me. Can't wait to see some more of yours!

    @ colleen - thanks! I loooove blazers, too.

    @ sal - thanks, hon!

    @ jessica - would love to see you style a scarf/necklace, too! Good luck on remixing!

    @ anne - good point--the shoes do balance it out. I've never met another Angeline before! My dad chose my name because he thought little girls should be angelic (he grew up with all brothers).

    @ kimmie - thanks!

    @ lorena - I was a bit hesistant, too, but I think the complementary colors really help since they make each other pop instead of fight.

    @ alterations needed - try it! Would love to see your version!

    @ lisa - Please do!

    @ kinsey - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really cute on you! I've definitely been pushed out of my comfort zone through the 30 for 30 challenge, partially because of the constraints of the challenge itself and partially because I really pushed myself to select some "challenging" items to remix. But even more than that, I think I've become aware of all the ways that my "comfort zone" is changing as my style has evolved -- which is both encouraging and intriguing. Hope you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ s - That's awesome! I definitely see my style evolving (I guess a by-product on fashion blogging?)...my mixes for this 30 for 30 are much different than the last, and not just due to season. A little challenge is always great for growth!

    @ emily - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,

    Just an FYI but true gold allergies are incredibly rare, as are true silver allergies. Nickel allergies, however, are very common and nickel is commonly found in the gold and silver available for sale. The reason I'm telling you this is that it's possible to find gold and silver alloys that are nickel free, which might help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ anon - Yes, I am allergic to nickel--sorry, should have clarified! I do look for earrings that specify "nickel-free," which is usually okay(is there a standard that they have to meet to put that designation? just curious.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this. I agree that it would look fantastic with skinny jeans and boots too. That necklace is gorgeous and I love how you layered it with the scarf. genius!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ pixie - next time! It's all about trial and error, right?

    ReplyDelete
  22. that necklace is fantastic peeking out from under your collar!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting.
    Titanium Jewelry

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.