Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cubicle makeover: Part 1

If you're anything like me, you think of your cubicle as a second home (I often accidentally say "this is where I live" instead of "this is where I work" when referring to my little space...Freudian slip, anyone?).  I've been at my current job for just over two-and-a-half years -- basically since I moved up here -- and I've made the space mine.  I've got photos, cards, trinkets, calendars, and flowers, but it's mostly been thrown together in a hodge podge way.

Your cubicle can speak volumes on you to your coworkers, so control your message by infusing your personal style into the space.  Obviously you'll want to stay within reason, but a few personal touches can go a long way.  What I want my cubicle to say about me: I'm organized, creative, assertive, and able to handle everything you throw at me without losing my cool.

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting back in my room -- err, cubicle -- when I really started wondering what I could do to spice it up.  It was just so...boring.  And cluttered.  And uninspiring.  Here's a look:

It all started with the pillow.  Red is my favorite color, and I picked this up on a lunchtime Ikea trip.  A little back support never hurt anyone.

Part 1 of my makeover takes place in the left side of the pic...under the cabinet and to the left of my monitor.  Another before pic:


Here is the after:




Changes:
  • Covered ugly green bulletin board in pretty fabric (Joann fabrics; leftover from a project I did for my apartment; affixed with staples)
  • Organized my current project files, note pads, and sticky note into new a desk organizer (Target, $4.99)
  • Consolidated desk supplies (pencils, pens, paperclips, push pins) into new organizer (Target, $4.99)
  • Moved other non-immediate files to the front of my filing cabinet (so they're still accessible)
  • Folded calendar in half (cleaner-looking and takes up less space)
  • Filed away old resources I had tacked up
  • Threw away outdated items
  • Moved hand lotion to a drawer with the rest of my cubicle survival kit

Clean space, clear mind...so far so good!

Stay tuned for part 2--above the computer monitor (those dead flowers have got to go!)

What do you want your personal workspace to say about you?  What personal touches have you added?

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, what a nice touch! I had a huge window in my cubicle wall so I bought a light blue and white geometric pattern shower curtain and spring-loaded rod and stuck it in the window. It was dual purposed, gave a touch of something beautiful and fun and provided much needed privacy. I also had an office plant :P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo that sounds nice! I actually share my window with the guy in the neighboring cubicle, and there are vertical blinds (luckily they dock over on his side--that would be an eyesore for me!). So we can have privacy when we need it.

    I have half a mind to try the spring-loaded shower curtain trick to create a makeshift door, though. But I don't think that would go over too well (and the walls aren't that tall so people can see over them anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.