Friday, April 23, 2010

All grown up

Being relatively petite in size, I often get mistaken for someone much younger than myself.  I work for a  nonprofit that also employs many college students, so "Are you a student?" is a question I get a lot.  To counteract that, I tend to stay away from girlish details on my clothes, which I'm starting to rethink.  One of those things that I've been scared to try for a while are Mary Janes.

Once a staple in my high-school dressy wardrobe (for church and piano recitals), Mary Janes have generally worn out their welcome in my closet.  I have one pair of patent leather t-straps that my mom got me when I was 19.  They still fit and are still comfortable, but I don't really wear them that often, since they are a bit young looking.  Mary Janes have come a long way from those sweet little girl versions.  To me, Mary Janes are closed-toe shoes with an ankle strap, sometimes also with a t-strap.  Once the toes peep out, I generally consider them strappy sandals.

Here are some of my favorite grown-up Mary Janes:

Mary Janes are versatile--they work well with pants and skirts.  I'm especially loving the chunky-heeled t-straps above...would love to pair one of those with my khaki pencil skirt for a breezy summer look that's ladylike for the office but fun enough for a lunch with friends.

What are you preferred Mary Janes and how do you wear them?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I should also mention that I am getting you on my blogroll too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you've seen my outfit pics in my blog, you know I love mary janes! My favorite pair are my Manolo mary janes - I keep them in my office. I have a Stuart Weitzman pair at home for weekends (plus a few Nine West and Franco Sarto pairs just in case I get bored...).

    Thanks for the blogroll add!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I found your blog while searching on Google your post looks very interesting for me. I will bookmark your site. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya kno, normally i am not a fan of mary jane's but i love that lower center row black pair and the pair to the left of those. they're really cute and versatile looking!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.