Friday, August 13, 2010

Pretend Friday


The Rundown:
Gap blazer - 2005 - $40 (similar)
Kohl's blouse - 2007 - $13 (similar)
Gap belt - 2010 - $10 (similar)
Ann Taylor skirt - 2006 - $7 (similar)
Calvin Klein Shoes from Off Broadway - 2007 - $70 (similar)
Anne Klein watch - 2009 - $55 (available here)

What worked:
Don't hate me, but I'm one of those lucky people that, on days with no meetings, is actually allowed to wear denim to work (tastefully and dressed up, that is).  Even if you can't wear denim on Thursdays (like I did with this outfit), this could work if your office allows denim on Casual Fridays.  I cuffed up my sleeves (a la earlier this week) and I think I just breathed new life into this blazer. I've always liked it (everyone should consider getting a standby black blazer), but this new way of wearing it just opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

What didn't:
This skirt fits funny. I bought it years ago even though it was two sizes too big (at the time) just because it was such a good deal (seriously, right?!?). Have no fear, I expanded to fill those two sizes, but it still doesn't quite fall right.  It's not as bad when the shirt is tucked in and the skirt belted, but it is just super-thick and bulky at the waist. Today it looked okay because the blazer sort of hid the waistline on the sides.  I also wish I would have worn a bolder necklace and bracelet to add some interest up top (I have on a small ball chain necklace, my standby).

Apologies for being MIA lately...this week has been insane. K and I had our three-year anniversary this Wednesday. We like to keep it low-key...eat steak until we're silly, no presents. That's the suckiest part about being married...for anniversaries and Valentine's Day, you're out twice the money. We only do birthdays and Christmas (I think? I can't remember), which isn't to say we never treat ourselves or each other to stuff, but we don't like to keep it restricted to a holiday schedule.  In addition, we hosted a farewell party for some friends tonight and are attending another farewell party for a coworker tomorrow night (which I just finished baking cupcakes for), we're in charge of our church small group's girls/guys Saturday morning get-togethers (me, the gals, and him, the guys), and a college friend is coming into town this weekend. Needless to say I'm pretty tired and haven't been on the computer (outside of work) for a while.  And it's late so I'm keeping this "short."

And if you haven't yet, please take the reader survey. This is the last time I'm asking...it ends tonight.

How has your week been? What is the first thing to fall by the wayside for you in a busy week?

7 comments:

  1. Happy 3 year anniversary!! We NEVER do v-day - I don't know I'd rather just celebrate alone without every other couple out there :P

    Luckily I can wear jeans any day of the week (unless we have vistors) but I rarely do, I like to be a little more dressed up usually especially in the summer.

    When things get crazy busy for me making dinner gets pushed aside - terrible I know - we end up eating whatever is in the fridge and buying lunch :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, so jealous - I'm not allowed to wear denim at all. We have a pretty casual enviroment, so I can wear sandals and tanks, but under no circumstances are we allowed to wear jeans/jean skirts. I bought a chambray skirt this spring to wear to work and ended up returning it because I didn't want to get in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wowza, your week sounds sooo intense! hope your next week is more laid back.

    i let cleaning go. :D and then next week im like, ugh!! dirty/messy! and then proceed to go on a rampage esp cuz i can't work when its dirty/messy. doesn't work that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 3 year anniversary is Monday, August 16.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ curls and pearls - oh, cooking dinner fell by the wayside a while ago :P

    @ ashley - wow, that's interesting...that's sort of weird they let tanks and sandals but not jeans! jeans dress up so well!

    @ t - :) yeah, that goes, too.. But entertaining definitely helps...that's mainly when we clean -- right before people come over!

    @ colleen - Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh I sympathize with your super busy week. I was just thinking how I will probably have very little free time until January...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Jeanna - Yikes! January is very far away...hope things lighten up before then.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.