Monday, August 16, 2010

Make Believe Monday | Statement necklace

When it comes to accessories, I nearly always fall into the minimalist camp.  My normal gear includes only my wedding rings and a pair of silver ball stud earrings. When I do pick an accessory, it's usually a ring or watch, or my standby ballchain necklace.

That said, I also enjoy being really flashy. I love my crazy flower ring and my big black one, as well as some fun earrings now and then, but my necklace selection is woefully inadequate for this task, leaving me to one or two standbys, which I've become pretty sick of.  So I'm adding to my list a statement necklace (or two or three or four...heck as many as I can get my hands on).

Statement necklaces are a great way to add punch and polish to a basic outfit.  Let one peek out from the collar of a work blouse, or add one over a basic shift dress for some neckline bling.  You can dress these pieces up or down, and use them on weekends and Casual Fridays, too.  Here are some of my favorites:

I love the subtle sparkle of this necklace....usually I'd stay away from so much shine, but the classic shape of this necklace would be great under a suit.

These beads add vibrant color, and I love how hefty this two-strander is.

Have I mentioned before how much I love metal and studs?  Not in a while. I majorly want this necklace.

Pearls are a great office standby...and when they look this good, the more pearls the better.

I love the color and abstract shape of this beauty...I would pair this with my gray shift dress for some much-needed pop!

I'm often a little bummed that I like Forever 21's jewelry online, but can never find it in stores.  I'm a little iffy on their quality, so that's why I like to see things in person before I buy.  But I'm thinking I need a trip back there soon.

Do you have a go-to statement necklace to spice up your work basics? Where do you go to find affordable jewelry that won't fall apart or turn your skin green?

17 comments:

  1. Those are all great!

    I only one statement necklace that I bought on clearance at Target. I've seen some of the ones at Forever 21 (that pearl one, actually!) but didn't buy any.

    They really are great to add a little something to an otherwise simple and minimal outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any statement necklaces yet. I think I'd have to try it on in person. I love those first two that you featured!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pics especially the pearls (obviously!) and the coral one.

    I think H&M is a great place for bold inexpensive jewellery. I get most of mine from Avon or mark they have surprisingly interesting items at good price points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous! I especially love the chunky pearled necklace.

    http://www.stylethroughhereyes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only have one statement necklace (I don't really like them on me), but it's definitely an out to a bar necklace. I just think they're too heavy to wear most the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I LOVE a statement necklace! They're one thing that I stock up on, and I usually find great ones at LOFT. I also always have luck in the clearance jewelry at Dillard's and Macy's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spicing up basics with bold jewelry. My favorite is from a local boutique, but I also love the jewelry at Target and Ann Taylor Loft (and not just because I work there!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. i LOVE statement necklaces! I just wish i had more colorful ones, which catch my eye and make me feel prettiest.A month ago, AE was having a buy one get one sale on their jewelry and it was already discounted. Those were good deals, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo ooo ooo I love this post! Statement necklaces are my favorite thing, and you've chosen some really excellent ones. I love the metal one from Banana Republic, and I must say, doesn't that seem a little edgier than the average BR necklace? The colors from the Target necklace are also a wonderful combination. I hope you share whichever you choose!

    - Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the recs...will definitely have to check out H&M, LOFT, Macy's, AE, and Avon/Mark. I think Fall is going to be the season of jewelry shopping for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the ones you posted. I only have one (vintage) but need more for sure.

    I never like to buy F21 jewelry online either. I love pretty much everything they sell, but I always want to check before I buy it to see if it looks cheap. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It just depends.

    Saltwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ leigh - oo I'm sure vintage is a treasure trove of statement finds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i saw that f21 necklace a couple weeks ago and was tempted to buy it; it actually does look pretty good in person!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ step - Good to know! I'll definitely have to go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I actually almost bought the Target necklace pictured above and the Forever 21 necklace. I didn't buy either. I sometimes get scared of jewelry that is more than a chain with some charm on the end so I got scared away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ colleen - Break away! It's fun! I rarely wear chain + charm necklaces (unless they're sort of funky in some way)...I've seen you wear some chunky ones that are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One good place to find interesting statement necklaces is all the vintage shops on Etsy. You can find amazing, funky, classic, colorful, unique things there that not everyone else is wearing for really good prices ($10-$40 usually). I have been amassing a collection, myself!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.