Thursday, April 14, 2011

Going with the flow



A'gaci top - 2011 - $20 (similar) / Old Navy trousers - 2006 - $6 (similar) / Enzo Angiolini Maylie peep-toes via Nordstrom - 2007 - $70 (similar) / New York & Co bangle - 2010 - gift (similar) / Necklace: bone-ish looking thing from bead store + ball chain

If you've worn a flowy top on your blog lately, I'm sure you've seen my comment on it about how much I want a flowy, loose, preferably print, shirt. (I'm looking at you Kileen and Brittany). I've heard about A'gaci before, mostly from Lindsay's blog, so when I saw one around the corner from my hotel in Chicago earlier this month, I knew I had to go. I have to say, it was interesting, and I did find a few gems. I guess clubbing tops just really don't have much of a place in my wardrobe anymore. I guess I could have gotten a hint from the fact that their website says "Teen clothing," but heck, it was more affordable than hitting up Ann Taylor (which we have all over California, anyway). And now I have a flowy top.

What the heck do you wear with a top so flowy? Since I haven't quite found the right pair of skinny trousers yet, and my straight leg pants were recently out of the laundry and yet-to-be-ironed, I went for the volume on volume look. Sort of like how I did it here. The belting (in this case built-in) keeps it from being too frumpy.

What worked
I love that this top is not only flowy, but has some color and print to it. It will be a perfect beach-y top when summer comes, too!

What didn't
The shirt is a bit gaping on the sides (under the arms) but it's nothing a regular cami can't fix.

How do you feel about pairing volume on top with volume on bottom? Do you embrace it or do you avoid it?

13 comments:

  1. wow, i never thought a flowy top and flare pants can work....but they do!!!!
    ill try this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This top is GORGEOUS - I love the graphic print!

    Blousy, flowy, big-sleeved blouses are my absolute FAVORITE - I've got a closet full of them! I'm only 5'4", though, and decidedly pear-shaped, so I find that I most enjoy wearing this style with skinnies or fitted, skinny leg trousers for work to balance out my shape.

    I recently scored a pair of slim leg trousers straight off the Loft clearance rack, and I can tell they are going to be my go-to work pants this season! LOVE THEM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this top and I think it looks great with those pants! You should also try pencil skirts to balance out the volume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this. The shapes work great together and it's really fun but still professional. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Volume on top and bottom makes me look huge, but I think if you have a thin frame like yours, you can pull it off.
    Nikki
    PS- will you be at picnic day? All my students keep telling me about it... haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. usually I'm not a fan of the high volume on both top & bottom- but in this case- it looks great! I love that top- it would certainly fit my ever expanding belly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I typically avoid volume on volume, but only because I'm petite and somewhat long-waisted. I love the look of volume on top, fitted on bottom, and visa-versa for the amazing tricks it plays on the eyes to help your proportions.

    But that said, I think you really made the volume on volume work in this case! Belting it at the waist definitely helps to break up the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like it on you. The print is really pretty.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  9. I for one love the proportions of this outfit - the prints are fabulous together and so,so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh! i really really like that shirt!

    i generally prefer a more tailored look. i've always been skinny, and i used to think that wearing baggy clothing would make me look more normal sized. looking back on old photos, i can see that it only emphasized my thinness! so these days i only do selected volume.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome! I've been experimenting with flowy tops this week and I like the volume-on-volume idea. My small stature is a point of concern with that much volume but, I agree, the belt really helps it look put-together. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @shooting star - they do!

    @faith - thank you!

    @rachael - oo I'll have to check there for some skinny trousers. I think they'd look nice with this top (and many others).

    @nicole - yes! I was hoping for something a little different this time, but I do plan on doing the pencil skirt w/this top later.

    @grace - thanks!

    @nikknaks - that is a good point! Flowy tops can make larger chested girls look even bigger. I didn't get to go to Picnic Day (was in LA for a bachelorette party) but I'm a little glad (it gets pretty crazy)

    @andie - yes! the billow is nice for that.

    @keira - I think a balance of volume and fittedness would be ideal, but a)I felt lazy and b) I have yet to find the perfect skinny trousers.

    @myheartblogged - thank you!

    @lauren - thanks!

    @stephanie - I agree...it could definitely be overwhelming on a very small frame.

    @an engineer's closet - I think belting and heels to elongate the legs would be the key to recreating this look on a petite frame. Hope you try it!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.