Thursday, April 7, 2011

White and other colors

Old Navy blazer - 2010 - $30 on sale (similar) / J.Crew striped top - Linley's (similar) / LOFT pencil skirt - 2009 - $13 on sale (similar) / Target pumps - 2011 - $10 on sale (similar) / Vintage braided belt via Bows and Arrows - 2010 - $7 (similar) / Ball chain necklace (similar)


So I'm not entirely certain how this outfit came together, but I think it went something this: pick out top (from the stash Linley sent me)...pick out black skirt...realize the striped top is navy, not black...put back black skirt...pick up khaki skirt...pick out belt...pick out shoes...realize I'm in all very light colors...ponder...ponder...pick out bright jacket...run out door so my car doesn't get a ticket.

I don't have anything against white on light (see here), but I just felt like the outfit needed a pop of color. I liked this outfit, but wasn't really bowled over by any of it. Probably had to do with the fact that I was heading back in to work on a Monday after being on vacation for 5 days and knowing that I have a lot on my plate this week and will be working a half day on Saturday, too. Oh well. You win some, you don't mind some.

What worked
The bright pop of green was really fun. I actually like the outfit a lot now that I look at it on screen, I just didn't really feel like it was anything special when I was wearing it. The belt was a major "do."

What didn't
Perhaps a heftier necklace would have been fun? I've been a little lax on good accessorizing lately.

Do you ever feel blah in a good outfit? Any tips on beating the blahs?

17 comments:

  1. I really like your outfit a lot! :-) Lightness, stripes, a pop of color - what's not to love?!

    Relatable Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the crisp, nautical vibe I get from this. It just screams "Spring may well be on it's way after all!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this out fit works well! I could see a brighter necklace with this too, perhaps a coral or a red? Sometimes when I'm feeling "blah" in an oufit I like to wear a brighter lipstick. Tends to brighten up my face and my mood! But if you're not used to wearing lipstick or makeup it might make you feel self conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm loving this outfit! i think my last comment was also on a post featuring the crisp green jacket. the 3/4 sleeves balance the skirt and provide good structure. the grey heels -- absolutely adorable.

    i like simple and delicate jewelry and often just wear ball chain strands. i know you have a great jewelry collection so don't be afraid to layer up to make outfits sparkle! i also don't own lipstick right now and feel like i could use some more colour in my face. totally agree that lipstick and eyeliner (sparingly) can really "awaken" your face. i stick to pencil (MAC power point pencil in buried treasure) but amp it up to black liquid liner (l'oreal lineur intense) for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think this looks great! :) great color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pop of colour, I think you made the right decision. Light on light can be great and refreshing but you always need something to create a contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the jacket on you. I think a statement necklace would have looked awesome with this.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  8. @lili - thanks!

    @vanessa - it does look nautical! crap, I have the perfect blue blazer I could have worn, too. I can't believe I forgot!

    @curls and pearls - yes, I am so terrible about lipstick. I love it and I have several colors, but I just can never remember to put it on! A bright necklace would definitely have been good...I need to keep working on my jewelry collection.

    @annie - I feel like I have a lot of jewelry, but I still find that I have a hard time working them into my outfits. Oh well, it's a work a progress. :)

    @andie - thanks!

    @sorren - I totally agree. For this day (when it was nice and warm) all the paleness was just too much!

    @my heart blogged - thanks! it's one of my faves because of the color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this looks great , the cut of the jacket is just right, and the color was the perfect addition, but you're right on a fun necklace! and I love your reflections on every outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i get so inspired by you! oy! you have such awesome ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this outfit. I mean it's way up there with that one from July of last year that is my favorite (In my quick search. Day 8 http://the-new-professional.blogspot.com/2010/07/halfway-there-roundup-days-1-15.html)

    Also I have been wanting colorful shoes besides my red... and shoes to match your jacket are what I want... I don't even know how to find colorful shoes. They never have them anywhere.

    Man do I want to do this outfit. But I don't have the articles at all. I might have a similar shirt. But my skirt is way more khaki than white so it looks different. Also I have no fun colorful jackets. But I still want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the stripes with the pop of green! A great does of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @elle enchanted - thanks!

    @t - aww...that is one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me. :) i love you.

    @colleen - oo green shoes would be awesome. It is definitely hard to find colorful shoes. I'm not sure where to look. I'd really like to find some patterned/print ones, but I'm super-picky and have yet to find a print I like (plus there are not a lot of choices out there). You should definitely try a version of this--I'd love to see it!

    @basiccravings - thanks! I need more bright colors like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This outfit is a great springtime go-to for the office. I think I need to start creating outfits like these for super crazy insane weeks (like the ones I've been recently experiencing!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @nicole - it's definitely a good standby (well, any top + skirt + blazer).

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love this green coat!! <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ ruby - thank you! The color always makes me smile. :) (see?)

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.