Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm no slouch

office fashion blog the new professional angeline evans gray ruffle dress banana republic pants hm cardigan 30 for 30 challenge
office fashion blog the new professional angeline evans gray ruffle dress banana republic pants hm cardigan 30 for 30 challenge
office fashion blog the new professional angeline evans swapped belt forever 21 bracelet hm cardigan 30 for 30 challenge
office fashion blog the new professional angeline evans

The Rundown:
13 + 20 + 24 + 30
Studded belt - 2010 - swapped (similar)
Target(?) earrings - ?? - cheap (similar)
American Eagle bow ring - 2010 - $15 (similar)
Nancy Rosetta circle ring - 2010 - birthday gift (similar)
Forever 21 bracelet - 2010 - $5 (similar)
Ulta Lip Tint in Wine

This has got to be one of the most comfortable work outfits I've ever put together.  Long sweatery dress/shirt and trousers. I felt like I should be walking around the market in Carrie and friends' Abu Dhabi. OK, so that's a bit overboard, but I did really like this outfit, and it was perfect for a low-key day in the office checking things off my to-do list.

How is it that all but one of the lipcolors I've worn so far is discontinued, and that one that is still made isn't available online? Either I'm really behind on the times or I'm a lipstick killer.  Almost works in exact reverse: I tried Cover Girl Outlast lipstain a while back and it didn't work well for me, and now it's a crazy bestseller. As a favor to my readers, let me know what your favorite lipcolor is and I'll try to stay away.

Here is what it looks like. Obviously goes on a lot sheerer than it looks in the tube.


What worked:
Nixing the proportions rule (volume + fit = balance).  In this case, nearly every item had a looseness to it--the cardigan was left open and the dress and trouser legs fell nicely.  The belt was the tie that binds, though. Without it this outfit would have been a flop.  Also on the plus side--it was nice enough today to wear open-toed shoes! Got to get them in before the rain comes back tomorrow. Northern California winters are so baffling.

What didn't:
These pics. My loving baby brother, who shoots weddings and events in his spare time, sent me a nice list of suggestions to improve my photos. I've been trying to pick his brain since I got my camera but it's hard since we live 2,000 miles apart. Thing is, even reading his suggestions, I have no idea how to do any of those things! And then after I learn I have to teach K. This whole photo thing is definitely a work in progress. (For the record, today's pics were taken alone with a timer. And music, of course.)

Do you ever buck the proportions rule? What is your favorite way to do so?

16 comments:

  1. LOVE your grey ruffle dress! It looks wonderful as a top! Also, love that bracelet!

    I generally have the same problem with lip color - I find my perfect match, a color that is just right, when I run out of it and go to buy another tube... it's usually discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this look is casual and professional, but still really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, fellow remixer here, slowly getting around to visiting all of the remixers' blogs. I really like all the ruffles in this. Best of luck with the remaining challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those trousers are fabulous. I'm trying to find a pair for cheap-they look great on you!


    Lindsey Soup

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this. I'm glad you bucked the proportions rule because you look fabulous.

    I love the ruffles on the top and just how pretty and flowy everything is. You look so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Melissa. I'm so glad you broke your rule, because, this look is great on you. Your petite frame is actually enhanced instead of being swallowed up. You look fabulous.
    No Guilt Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Shirt.... is DTF!
    Gorgeous as always! Your getting so close.... 22 - 8 more to go!

    XOXO
    Yours Truly

    PS: Come check out my blog to enter in my GIVEAWAY.... who doesn't love a FREE SCARF?
    www.lahteadah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the gray ruffle dress here http://www.shopruche.com/posh-with-pearls-sweater-tunic-p-3534.html
    It's such a versatile piece!
    I just started reading your blog recently and I really enjoy your work outfits! Thank you for the daily inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look is casual and professional, but still really
    gorgeous !!!! Student belt is perfect choice for this outfit. Her smile in all these photos is so natural that everyone wants to date her online.
    She has the perfect wardrobe for first date.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the dress/top over the pants - the proportions are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. an awesome "lipstick" is clinique's black honey. it looks really dark but it goes on really sheer. and i've heard that it's universally flattering. it used to come in more colors (i liked black raspberry) but now they only make it in this shade.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree ignoring the prortion rule worked here. I also love the dress as a vest in your other post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love this. I never would have thought it would work, but it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ linley - why do lip colors change so much? So frustrating.

    @ theputtogethergirl - thanks!

    @ terri - welcome! Congrats on finishing your challenge.

    @ lindsay - thanks. Trousers are definitely a good staple to have.

    @ melissa - thanks girl! It felt soooo comfortable, too.

    @ noguiltfashion - isn't that funny how it works? It definitely didn't feel like too much volume for a short gal either.

    @ lahteadah - I know...so close! Can't wait to be done. :)

    @ iamusemyself - welcome! That IS the same dress! Although I just looked at my tag and the brand says "Esley." I bought it a year and a half ago...maybe Esley and Ruche have the same manufacturer?

    @ karen mouse - thanks! I think I"m going to have to try this with some of my other dresses that are now too short, too.

    @ step - I've heard! I have the same one in a different color (December 2), but yeah, Black Honey looks like it'd be just like this one. But this one is buy 1 get one 50% off at Ulta instead of $xx at Clinique. :P

    @ col - Thanks! I'm really loving this dress.

    @ grace - I was skeptical at first (all I knew when I woke up was I wanted to throw this dress on OVER something, I just didn't know what), but I was so pleasantly surprised with this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, you are not alone on the lipstick kill. I have four favorite lipsticks that I ration as best I can because none of them remotely exist anymore, and I have never had luck duplicating them in another line.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Mrs. M - Good to know it's not just me! I've been rationing my Clinique one for yeeeears since it's been discontinued for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.