Friday, October 1, 2010

What I did on my summer break

It's officially fall here in the college town we live in and the students are all back.  There went my quiet nights and easy parking.  Although I've only taken two weeks off (most of which fell in fall rather than summer), it feels like forever since I've blogged!  Here is what I've been up to.

Travel
Spent a weekend in LA visiting my friends and parents because I had a free flight that was about to expire.  While we did get some wrenches thrown into our original plans, I got to see all my best gals (love love love them).  Always great to see friendly faces, and Mom took me birthday shopping!

Celebrate
Yup, that's right...I celebrated my 27th birthday on the 21st!  The actual day wasn't too eventful (coworkers got me cupcakes and K took me to a nice dinner), but got to celebrate beforehand w/ friends and family (in LA) and had a birthday party the weekend after, which was awesome (Chicago-style deep dish pizza and Cranium).  My friends are the best!
Delicious chocolate cupcakes that my coworkers got me for my birthday (seriously, the best I've ever eaten). They were picked out by my coworker's four-year-old son. Thanks, O!

Deadline
So the actual day of my birthday was also the day before our magazine deadline, which meant we needed to get everything done that night, no matter what, so that all the files would be ready in the morning for the printer to pick up.  Aside from the cupcake break and dinner break, I worked an 18-hour day on my birthday.

Travel
Well, the magazine got done that night, I got 4 hours of sleep, was back in the office by 8:30 a.m. to see everything get handed off to the printer, and then it was back on a plane again, this time for a work conference.  Not a bad way to end the week.  Learned some, ate lots, and spent some quality time by the pool (it doesn't feel like fall in Vegas yet...or Sacramento for that matter).

Typewriter Eraser, Scale X, by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen in Las Vegas, NV.

Shop
Don't yell just yet--I only had one clothing purchase, but it was using my birthday money. It's been crazy the past few weeks as I hung out with my friends who love to shop, went shopping with my mom (her treat), and ended up having to replace some stuff. K finally ran my laptop (our laptop) into the ground after five long years.  Since we only have one computer and K started the school year this week, we had to act quickly on this whole replacement thing. Luckily we'd been looking at new laptops for a while (sharing one isn't really all that optimal) and were able to make a quick decision.  I also was fortunate to get a few really awesome gifts and giftcards for my birthday this year, which will appear on this blog soon.  So that's where all the new stuff came from.

Reconnect
In addition to the time I got to spend with my best girlfriends and parents in LA, I got to spend the weekend after my birthday with dear friends as well.  Like I mentioned, K planned a great birthday party (22 people showed up to dinner!), and it just made my week (heck, my month) to see some friends that I don't get to see as often as I'd like.  There's just also something so fun about seeing your friends meet each other.  K and I have this thing where we like mixing our friends whenever possible (not his and mine, but like school friends + work friends + church friends + other friends we've picked up along the way).  And at a large seated event like dinner, it's always interesting to see who ends up sitting next to whom and what connections and conversations emerge. I'm not sure that everyone else enjoys it as much, but we haven't had any complaints.  We spent all day Sunday with friends old and new prepping for the next year (in a college town the academic year trumps the calendar year in nearly all respects).
Bowtie ring (American Eagle), bought with my girlfriends during my weekend in LA (yes, we all got one...we're 12 when we're together).  Circle ring from nancyrosetta, part of my birthday gift from the same girlfriends. I wore both for double luck the day of my magazine deadline (see all the red lines? ugh).

So although the past few weeks have been pretty busy, it's also been really refreshing.  Since today is Friday (good timing, right?), look for links this afternoon and regularly scheduled posts starting up again on Monday.  I'm back, friends!!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so happy your back!! And, I finally know how old/young you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH- YOU'RE not YOUR.

    I suck on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what you had going on that kept you away.

    @Suze You never suck.
    www.noguiltfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gals!

    @suze -- yup, the cat's out of the bag. it's just a number, anyway, right? right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! a few days belated--but welcome back, nevertheless! :) yay to double ring power, woot! glad you enjoyed all of your travelings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks T, honey! I was good to see youuuuu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the recap on your summer break!! :) so good to hear that kev pulled off an awesome birthday dinner for you and friends! so bummed step and i couldn't make it -- that's just how crazy all of our lives are! am grateful we were able to hangout in LA (glendale?!) and SJC prior. :)

    and congrats on meeting the magazine deadline. you, my deer, absolutely rock.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.