Thursday, October 21, 2010

Trench coat weather and new swap finds

office fashion blogger jcrew shirt swapped black pencil skirt calvin klein pumps rampage trench coat
office fashion blogger jcrew shirt swapped black pencil skirt calvin klein pumps
office fashion blogger jcrew shirt swapped black pencil skirt calvin klein pumps
office fashion blogger jcrew shirt swapped black pencil skirt calvin klein pumps
office fashion blogger jcrew shirt swapped black pencil skirt calvin klein pumps
office fashion blogger jcrew shirt swapped black pencil skirt calvin klein pumps

The Rundown:
Rampage trench - 2007 - $90 with gift card (similar)
J. Crew shirt - 2009 - $20 on sale (similar)
Black textured pencil skirt - 2010 - swapped (similar)
Calvin Klein pumps - 2007 - $70 (similar)
Grouse and Badger typewriter key ring - 2010 - $5 (available)
Black bead necklace - 2010 - swapped (similar)
Target men's sunglasses - 2008 - $17 (similar)

What worked:
Somehow I completely forgot to mention the amazing swap I went to this weekend in Sacramento! Let me tell you, ladies, I scored, and I scored big. There were full-on J. Crew suits, nice work pumps, and other work appropriate garb everywhere!  Ok, I exaggerate (a little), but I seriously bulked up my winter skirt supply, and this textured number is one of my fave new finds. It has no tag and no size, but I brought it home anyway and it fit perfectly! I'll be sharing some more of my finds as I wear them.

I really liked the mix of classic colors for this outfit--black, beige, and the pop of coral. And it felt good to wear, which is always important. This outfit could work in even the most conservative of offices.

What didn't:
For someone who is usually a sucker for office workwear staples, I felt a little staid in this.  I think the saving grace was the bright coral of the shirt and my penchant for this new skirt, but other than that I wasn't so bowled over. I need some new fun pumps, and maybe some more colorful jewelry. 

On a similar note--my hair is getting pretty scraggly. The last time I did anything with it (aside from bangs) was getting it cut above shoulder length in late January. I am not the every-six-week-hair-appt kind of girl (or even every-six-months kind of gal).  But I do have an appointment this weekend, so wish me luck!

Would this outfit fly in your office? Too conservative or just right?

11 comments:

  1. I love this outfit! It's perfection for the office!

    The color of your shirt is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My office is so strange - technically we are business casual, and the men are usually in slacks and a polo (unless they have a meeting, then a shirt and tie with a suit coat thrown on when necessary). The women, however, sing to a different tune. One woman is in her 60s and always wears teacher style maxi skirts and company issued shirts, the other is always in slacks and untucked button downs. I jostle back and forth between office wear with pencil skirts and cardigans and much more casual (like today) with dresses and leggings. I like the flexiblity I have, though, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that typewriter key ring! And, I totally need a classic trench like that! Thanks for the ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's nothing wrong with the pop of color! I am a slacker in that sense because still lingering somewhere near black, white and beige only

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a pencil skirt and the texture makes it even more interesting. great look

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the absolutely perfect work look. That skirt fits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh, how fun--new haircut! can't wait to see. and i LOVE trenchcoats! can we do a whole thing on trenchcoats?? weeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit! My sister works at a pretty conservative law firm, and more and more she's letting me dress her. This would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks ladies! This is seriously my favorite swap find ever. It's going to get a lot of wear this winter, too, with some tights.

    @ ashley - i think women's dress is always more complicated than menswear. There is definitely a divide between what's acceptable for older women and younger women. Your office sounds a lot like mine (I wore trouser jeans today, a Thursday).

    @ miss studios - A lot of times, if I'm not paying attention, my outfits won't have a lot of color, either. I really like this shirt, though, so that helps. :)

    @ t - Just a trim! Nothing too drastic. I'm growing it out for a little longer and then maybe reassessing again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff on your post.thinkaboutthings |

    mouldingdies |

    loungepillow |

    carschools |

    townbakery |

    thegreendivision |

    haflingersgb |

    netrevelation |

    ataleof2oceans |

    jpburnside |

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.