Monday, October 11, 2010

Make Believe Monday | Wedge heels

Ah, the wedge heel.  A comfortable alternative to its sleek cousin, the stiletto, the wedge gets a bad rap for its perceived casualness. But recent buzz has reinvigorated the popular heel in the workplace, and there are more beautiful wedges out there than ever before.  That's my latest addition to the wish list: a pair of comfy and classy wedge pumps.

Still though, not all wedges are created for the office.  Some things to look for when picking a pair of wedges for workwear:
  • Since the heel is a little more casual, pick a shoe with a dressier upper.  A classic pump shape or peep-toes will help your heels go further in the office.  Keep your wedge sandals for the weekend.
  • When it comes to material, choose a wedge that is wood (preferably stained or painted) or covered in same material as the upper. Raffia or woven straw styles are too casual for this use.
  • One of the great things about wedges is that you can get away with a lot more in height.  So go as high as your heart pleases and your heels can handle.
I found a few nice options online, so here's a quick rundown.

I love the classic shape of these pumps and the feminine blush color.

These peep-toe Mary Janes are a nice twist on a traditional conservative shoe, but the demure shape make it more than safe enough for the office.

These peep-toes have a great buckle detail and a spring-like color--perfect for a dreary winter day.

I love the straps and colors of this number, but it is still covered enough to be worn into the office with a nice pencil skirt and cardi.  Plus, it transitions well to the weekend.

I love the classic shape here, and the rich color + soft suede make this seem super-comfy.

How do you style these without going too casual in the office? Here are some ideas.

Workwear | Wedge Heels + Dress

Workwear | Wedge Heels + Dress by thenewprofessional featuring a shift dress


Are wedges part of your workwear shoe rotation? How do you style them?

11 comments:

  1. That Jessica Simpson wedge just stole my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wedges too. You picked some great ones (must.not.shop.). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love wedges. The only type of heel I can teach all day in. Target has some super cute ones right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! I've really been into wedges lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these. I tend to be a high-heel boycotter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ sal - isn't it amazing? I'm drooling.

    @ eek - sorry to tempt you :P

    @ miss studios & bridget - I love the Target wedges but I think I have long toes or something--there is wayyy too much toe cleavage sticking out in them :( boo!

    @jen & ashlee - me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE wedge heels. I don't know if it's in my head, but they just seem more comfortable. is that me? i especially love espadriole ones...wow, i think i completely misspelled that. they might not be as office appropriate, however. great choices to showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ t - I think most people find wedges more comfy than heels because you're more stable on the ground. I would buy more, but Kevin really dislikes the bulkiness of them. I have one pair of espadrilles, but I think I'm going to have to sneak in a work-appropriate pair some time this winter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. t - i totally agree with you. i love heels but CANNOT go for very long in them. wedges give you the height and still lengthen your legs but you can go for hours in them!

    angel - maybe you can try sliver wedges?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not so much the size of the wedge that's hard for me to walk in--it's the inflexibility of the insole. Since there's solid material (wood or whatever), the insole/arch doesn't have any flex. I guess I'm a bendy-footed walker. :)

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.