Monday, October 18, 2010

Make Believe Monday: My neck of the woods

We're FINALLY getting some fall weather up here in Northern California (it went from 90-something degrees on Wednesday to low 70s and rainy on Sunday).  I haven't quite pulled out all my winter clothes just yet, but I've definitely got bundling up and layering on my mind.  So the latest addition to my wish list is a tissue-thin turtleneck.

Turtlenecks have come a long way since they were super-popular when I was a child. While the chunky knits are still widely available, the tissue-thin modern versions are super sleek and perfect for layering under a blazer or dress.  With only five months left until I can shop again, I've got my eye on one (or more) of these.

Since these are so basic, I just picked a few that are available in various colors at some different price points.

For the office, I would pair this with just about anything...a pencil skirt, a dress, some tweed slacks, an embellished blazer...this really is a versatile basic.  Some styling ideas:

Workwear | Turtleneck + Dress

Workwear | Turtleneck + Dress by thenewprofessional featuring a chain necklace

Have you tried the tissue-thin turtleneck? How do you style it for work?

8 comments:

  1. Turtlenecks in general are tough for me because I'm busty and petite, so they REALLY emphasize my chest (not exactly office appropriate). I have worn this turtlenecks under dresses though, like your second styling, which isn't bad. In general I'm just more comfortable with a cardi over something than a turtleneck - it's a bummer, too, because I really like the look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For think turtlenecks that I have tried I have noticed the sleeves are much too short for my arms. I guess the big bulky turtlenecks have longer sleeves because the desire is to have it go past your wrist but those just barely hit my wrists. I do like them in theory.

    Ashley - there were times when I liked emphasizing my smaller chest so I liked turtle necks. -- opposite of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love me a good mockneck (the fold of usual turtle necks makes me look like i have a body builder's neck). keeps you warm without the bulk on an extra sweater or scarf.

    colleen - maybe you can go in the opposite direction and get something with 3/4 sleeves? they'll come up to your elbows, also not a bad look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ ashley -- good point. I've never really had a busty problem :)

    @ colleen - I second Stephanie on the three-quarter sleeve. It's not quite as warm as a long-sleeve, but it'll still give you the look?

    @ stephanie - I loooove the warmth of having my neck covered. ooo cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a thin brown turtleneck from the Gap from several years ago that I LOVE and wear all the time, so I recommend the Gap version (once your shopping ban has been lifted)! I like to scrunch the neck instead of folding it down. Since the fabric is so thin, it doesn't add too much bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ jeanna - I love the scrunching idea! sounds a bit cozier and more casual, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.www.phoenixlawpllc.com |

    www.doorsports.com |

    www.foleycomputerrepair.com |

    www.ytravelalone.com |

    www.driveautocars.com |

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here.www.aspextechnology.org |

    www.qrgl-technology.org |

    www.accessibletechnology.org |

    www.istechnology.org |

    www.su2technology.org |

    www.computersforfutures.org |

    www.gtscomputers.org |

    www.computerisfun.org |

    www.solocomputerservices.org |

    www.computeroutlets.org |

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.