Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bling, not boring


The Rundown:
H&M Cardigan - 2009 - $30 (similar)
JC Penney top - 2009 - $7? Used a gift card (similar)
Gap belt - 2010 - $10 (similar)
Limited skirt - 2009 - $20 (similar)
Nine West peep-toes - 2009 - $25 (similar)
American Eagle bow ring - 2010 - $15 (here)
Silver circle ring - 2010 - birthday gift (here)

What worked:
I love how covered up this outfit is and how fun it remains. We had some bigwigs coming through our area of the office this day and I wanted to look nice, but I didn't want to be boring (no reason in particular, but who really needs one?).  I like how the cinched waist balances out the hippy volume of the tulip skirt, giving my straight figure some curves for once. I also love the bling on the top and on the rings.

What didn't:
I wish this cardigan actually fit without being obscene (you can see it's a bit snug, but the belt helps cover the stretching here).  I've also got my buttons aligned wrong here (oops! I swear it wasn't like this all day...really, it wasn't).  The blouse, which is pretty billowy (seen here), also kept blousing up under the cardi, which sometimes poufed out in the chest area.

Do you use clothing to create the shape you want? What tips and tricks do you have for creating curves or minimizing or maximizing areas?

10 comments:

  1. Love that kicky belt! And I definitely utilize clothing to create different silhouettes. One of my favorite tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the accessories. especially the ribbon styled ring.


    <3 dennica pearl
    - through the eyes of a pearl
    - vintage shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look great!

    Funny, I never really notice all the things you point out in your "what didn't work" part of of your posts. I guess sometimes clothes can feel off without looking it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this looks great on you. I love the colour pop of the belt. If you're unhappy with the fit of the cardi maybe belt it but don't button it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the shape of your tulip skirt and the kickin' orange belt! i especially like how you tucked/knotted the end of the belt.

    and of course, you're totally rocking the bow ring and circle ring. :) bling is right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the belt over the skirt!
    enter my giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What great deals!! love the rings!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies!

    @curls and pearls - I've tried it without buttoning, but then the cardi migrates to the sides of my body. I think the one-button thing works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favorite outfits of yours! Very nice. I love the color that the belt adds.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.