Wednesday, February 2, 2011

More of the same. Or is it?

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional hm cardigan calvin klein top loft pencil skirt enzo angiolini pumps hue nude fishnets
 We interrupt our weekly scheduled advice post to bring you this special announcement.

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional hm cardigan calvin klein top loft pencil skirt enzo angiolini pumps hue nude fishnets
 Is it a bird? A plane? 

No, it's the SUN!  And it's still out at 5:30 p.m. after I get home from work! This is a winter first!

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional hm cardigan calvin klein top
 I am sooooo happy.

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional enzo angiolini pumps hue nude fishnets
H&M cardigan - 2010 - $30 (similar) / Calvin Klein outlet top - 2009 - $20 (similar) / Loft pencil skirt - 2009 - $13 (similar) / Hue nude fishnets via Macy's - 2010 - $10 (similar) / Enzo Angiolini pumps via Piperlime - 2010 - $35 (similar) / American Eagle chunky chain - 2011 - $4 (similar) / Nordstrom pyramid studs - 2011 - gift card (available)

This outfit was inspired by Jaclyn of Sparkle Birds. The second I laid eyes on this outfit, I wanted to layer different textures in the same shade.  I don't have as many fun colors in my closet as Jackie does, but I do have lots of neutrals. So here is my neutral monochromatic look for the day. Not as fun as hers, but it's a start!

What worked
Studs! These are my favorite. I love that I now have earrings that sort of match my studded shirt. And these are my favorite shoes of the moment...shiny patent leather just melts my heart.

What didn't
You can't tell so much from the photos, but the tights and shoes did not jive with the outfit at all! These shoes are much more pink-beige than yellow-beige, which is especially noticeable against the yellow under-tones of my skin. And the tights are more brown-beige. Looked a little like death. But at least the photos turned out well! I also think the outfit would have looked much better without the cardigan, since it sort of dampens the sheen of the shirt, and the different textures are the key to this outfit.  Still a little chilly for that, though.


Is it hard for you to find neutrals that blend together? What tips do you have for a good monochromatic look?

27 comments:

  1. Yay for the sun! And I love the nude color palette. It's look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That top is beautiful! I really like just the little bit of pattern peeking out from under the cardigan.

    I'm excited that the sun is out longer too! I don't leave work until 6PM and it's slightly disconcerting to leave when it's pitch black out, since I'm the last one to leave my office. I'm glad for the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture of yours and i love your face so cute.. are you an asian?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhh!!! Simply adoring those nude patent pumps!!!!!! The whole look has a subtle glamour to it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute outfit! I like the romantic color palate - it looks great on you. The shoes are also great. You're right, you can't really tell from the photos that they don't work. It seems to me that they highlight the pink tones.

    - Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- love the outside shot! Sadly, still no sunshine after work at this latitude. I'm counting down the days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What else didn't work: the blouse pooching out from undearneath the cardigan right around the belly area. Unflattering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yé for the sun! Before we know it it will be Spring (that's what I tell myself anyways.. although we get snow till April here!). I LOVE seing you outside although your home makes a great setting for your pics. This outfit is great, I love the tone on tone, you pull it off well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those shoes. I bet they would just be NUDE on me. I'm very pinky myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the shoes...and the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the outfit, love the shoes, and love the change of scenery - with all the snow outside my window I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a wee bit jealous. OK, a lot jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the mostly monochrome effect of this outfit. It keeps it streamlined, simple and refined! The studs add a little edge and just are the top-notch finishing touch!
    And, yay for sunlight! When I left work it wasn't dark today, either!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your outfit is great! I look very washed out in neutrals.

    I am just so jealous of your weather. Today it iced all day. Brrr.

    http://itrystuffon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty pretty outfit. Love the "suit" feel of it with the comfort of a cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You and I were twins today! I love monochromatic neutrals, but feel like they can come off as boring sometimes. You did a great job with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. The tone on tone is brilliant. And I love your inspiration as well! I am going to have to give this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the watch suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like how you paired your neutrals. I love white and cream together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look so pretty in neutrals! Love the shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. yay for the sun! i love polka dots, they make me so happy. fun fun:)
    YOURS, MINE AND OURS

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just bought these fishnets and can't wait to wear them. They look great with the outfit. I like that they don't give your legs the orangy tinge of nylons!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @ liz - thanks, girl!

    @ faith - thank you!

    @ melissa - Thanks. I wish it would have been warm enough to go without the cardigan so you could see the whole top. yay for sun!

    @ 3 piece suits for men - thank you. Yes, I am Asian.

    @ polka princess - thanks! these are my new fave shoes (even though I've had them for months)

    @ cubicle chic - yeah, the photos really look fine compared to how I was seeing them all day through my eyes. Hopefully the camera captured what others saw as well? ;)

    @ emma - it'll come, I promise! Hoping for some late sun for you soon.

    @ aubreyohdang - thanks for your feedback--it is a tricky balance, since when I buttoned up the cardigan all the way it looked terrible, and when I didn't button any buttons, it looked frumpy. Can't win them all, I guess.

    @ virginie's cinema - thanks, hon! The lighting out here is much much better though. :)

    @ work with what you've got - maybe! they are a really nice color, and I like them on their own. I think they looked a little odd paired with the tights, though (my feet get rather pale in the winter, although not really pinky) :)

    @ terri - thanks! sunshine is my fave accessory, too.

    @ amelia - sorry! I didn't mean to rub it in. There's a reason I only left CA for grad school (and came back right after). The weather here just can't be beat.

    @ vanessa - thanks! I love studs as a fun detail.

    @ i try stuff on - good point--I never really thought about hard difficult neutrals are to wear. I am lucky to have an easy-to-dress skin tone.

    @ brittany d'lynne - I hadn't thought of that! it does look a little faux suit.

    @ bridget - yeah, I totally get you on the boring /blah ness of neutrals. I think the shiny details and different textures helped dress this one up.

    @ pixie in pumps - isn't jaclyn gorgeous! I need more color in my wardrobe once I can shop again.

    @ adam mal - you're welcome! thanks for stopping by.

    @ an engineer's closet - I do too! (well, now I do at least)

    @ ashley - thanks, dear!

    @ meredith - woohoo! they're actually studs on my shirt -- even more fun!

    @ tiffany - YES! nylons are so tough to match. But these are nice and neutral, since most of it is your skin tone peeking through.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the neutral palette with polka dots. So feminine and put together. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.