Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Burst of color [outfit]

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional hm cardigan limited top target skirt kate spade pumps
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional hm cardigan limited top target skirt kate spade pumps
H&M cardigan - 2009 - $30 (similar) / The Limited top - 2009 - $20 (similar) / Target skirt - 2007 - $6 (similar) / J.Crew belt - 2011 - $10 (similar) / Kate Spade pumps - 2011 - gift (similar here and here) / American Eagle necklace - 2010 - $7 (similar)

Outfit analysis: Red, teal, and pink? This color combination is pretty wild (compared to my usual), but I really, really like it! The belt balances out the full skirt, and the neutral cardigan and metallic heels anchor the colors. I originally picked out the top and skirt, and will probably try them together without the cardigan when it warms up.
___

Thanks for the great advice, friends, on how to get out of a style rut. I ended up going the color route, as evidenced by this colorful outfit. I know, it's not super out-there, but just the fact that there are more colors than there are neutrals is a big step. I've worn teal and red together before, but the red is usually just a belt or a shoe.

I've been doing a major closet clean-out as we prepare for the move. I don't mean my every-few-months get rid of stuff I don't like type of clean-out. I'm talking the toss-it-if-I-can't-see-myself-wearing-it-in-Miami type of clean-out (also known as a get-rid-of-as-much-as-possible-so-there's-less-to-move clean-out). Aside from weather, one of the biggest changes happening when I move is that I won't be going into an office everyday anymore.

What the?? Yup. I've decided to try my hand at freelancing (writing, editing, social media, etc.) for a minimum of one year. Full-time freelancing has always been tempting, and I actually planned on doing just that when I first moved up to Sacramento, but with a student-husband earning a student-income, we needed something more steady, and I was lucky to find a great job rather quickly. Now that he's got a job of his own (making more than we do now put together), it's a great time for me to pursue my dream freelance career. When else will I be forced to quit my full-time job, still have a sustainable income while adding to our savings each month, and not have a mortgage, debt, or children to support? Sure, it will be challenging—I'm prepared for much discouragement and disappointment as I start out—but since much of my work is done online anyway, I'm hoping to use the networks I've built everywhere I've worked (Orange County, NYC, and Sac) as a jumping-off point. A one-year minimum will give me time to learn from my beginner mistakes and see if this is a viable long-term career choice. I plan on continuing this blog after I move, but there will definitely be changes (still working that out).

Any tips for the first-time full-time freelancer?

17 comments:

  1. Congrats on the decision. It's very exciting that you are taking such a big step. I have only freelanced for one friend and I would say make sure you get a clear payment schedule setup. I worked with a guy who always trusted me enough to put together invoices and then just write me a check but money is always a hard thing to deal with. A contract or payment schedule is super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds awesome! Good luck in going into business for yourself and being your own boss. I don't have any advice but I wish you the best and look forward to hearing more about it as you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your red skirt! I love bright colors so I'm a big fan of this outfit.

    Good luck with your move and new work opportunities! I think freelance is a great option, especially if you have the financial flexibility to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lots of exciting changes for you! Good luck with your jump to free lancing. I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the big move to freelance work, lady! That's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous look! And can I say even more fabulous to hear about your new endeavor in freelancing? Hope you will update us on how it all pans out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds exciting! I wish you all the best with your new career!

    I am loving all the bold colors together :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the job change, Angeline. I've done quite a bit of freelance work in the past, so shoot me an email if you have specific questions :) Some general things:

    - second the above recommendation to work out the payment schedule in advance

    - scope out some alternative work spaces, as it gets lonely just working at home

    - keep a schedule... otherwise you never stop working! While one perk is that you can finish projects on your own timeline, I highly recommend setting some "business hours" so that you don't get roped into doing crazy hours/schedules that interfere with your life

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that skirt!!! but the links are up so i'm heartbroken that i won't be able to get something similar! fix please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO excited for you and I think you're going to be GREAT!

    I also really, really adore this outfit! The color combo is fabulous!

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, how exciting of a decision to make! I wish you much luck in your future!

    Also, I love that skirt. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful skirt--and how wonderful that you can take this opportunity. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the new career! And I think this is my favorite outfit of yours ever! You look absolutely radiant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your new career...I'd love to try freelancing to, but I need to keep a steady income for now. LOL. I hope you'll continue to share your experiences with us. Good luck in Miami! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Faith - Thank you! I'm super-excited.

    @ Grace - Thanks! If I could pick combos like this everyday, I'm sure I'd love bright colors, too. For now, they're still a little scary.

    @ Pixie in pumps - Thank you! Just a warning--there will be lots of Twitter whining in my future.

    @ Sal - thanks! I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I'll finally get a guest post together for ya now that I'll have the time. :)

    @ Liz - Thanks! I will definitely keep y'all updated!

    @ Eek - Thank you! I'm a fan of this color combo myself.

    @ Ashley - Great advice! I was planning on relying on a home office, but I'll be sure to check out some other local spots (when we figure out where exactly "local" is), and I like the business hours idea. I think blogging has actually helped with that--I already have to limit my blogging time so that I can spend enough time with husband and friends. Hopefully I can apply that same logic and practice to my freelance work.

    @ step - Oops! I totally forgot. They're up now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like all the color on you. Good luck with freelancing. It sounds really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Congrats on your decision. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.