Thursday, June 30, 2011

Snap and scrap [outfit]

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional gap dress franco sarto boots banana republic necklace
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional gap dress franco sarto boots banana republic necklace
Gap dress - 2011 - $25 on sale (similar) / Banana Republic bib necklace - 2010 - $12 on sale (similar) / Vintage braided leather belt via Bows and Arrows - 2010 - $7 (similar) / Franco Sarto boots via Macy's - 2010 - gift (similar)

Outfit analysis: When I looked at the weather report for early this week (highs in the 60s/70s), I knew I had to squeeze another wear out of this cozy dress. I've paired this dress with brown before, but the boots and necklace give this a totally different look than last time. This almost has a country vibe, which was great. I had the first of my several goodbye lunches this day, and the flat boots were perfect for our walk across Capitol Park.
___

This weekend, K and I grabbed the last of our stuff from our parents houses. I'd already edited my childhood stuff into one medium sized box before I got married, so this weekend was just a little walk through my college life. I grabbed a few books to keep and put the rest in a donate pile. I took photos of my scrapbook pages, ripped all my photos out of my scrapbooks to scan later, and tossed them. I brought back one plastic bin. I call my process "snap and scrap."

K, on the other hand, hadn't gone through his stuff in ages. He did a quick sift through a few of the boxes, but several others he just brought back entirely to look at here. He brought back 3 bins, 2 large boxes, and two shoeboxes of stuff. He's started going through the bins, but while I'm content to keep a digital copy, K is a little less decisive. He's been asking me what to do with stuff, and I'm at a loss. So far we've edited out an entire box, and the shoebox content will be easy to place, but there's still a lot to do.

Do you part with stuff easily or do you hang as long as possible?

19 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Usually I put my boots away for the summer but honestly..if it is in the low 70s why not wear them! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look! Makin' me miss boot season.

    I'm like you—seasoned at editing both words and belongings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love this look - that necklace looks great against the dress and I'm always a fan of boots ;)

    I am both...I tend to keep stuff for a long time then on a whim will just get rid of everything! I think I just can't bear to part with something right away in case I miss it :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very pretty necklace!

    I pare down stuff pretty often. I also have gotten expert at packing it up quickly for when/if we have to evacuate for a hurricane. We have one bin for photos and mementos and if it doesn't fit in the bin then it doesn't come with us. I still print out some digital photos and put them in albums but I am very selective about which ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your necklace. Brings the whole outfit up a notch :)

    I am such a hoarder. I've gotten better since we moved into our tiny place but I am like your husband...I hold onto things way longer than I should!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why do boys do that?!?!? My bf and I are the same way. He keeps everything and I'm like "what's the point?"

    I love your dress and the necklace and boots are the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And once again, I LOVE the black and brown! That necklace is fantastic!

    I am sometimes okay with parting with things and sometimes not. I think it depends on the sentiment behind it and my mood at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang on.
    I have seen so many people regret their tossings....
    I regret some of my own mom's tossings.
    Tossing.. is that a word ? !

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea! I have got tons of photos albums that i never look at that need to go.
    Love the bib necklace!
    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this look, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this dress. Finding a good dress with sleeves is so hard.

    Also I hang onto everything forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every time I go through old memorabilia I get so sidetracked reminiscing that it takes me hours. You were brutal on your collection. I'd have a hard time dismantling my scrapbook pages.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ eek - thanks! I think that's what's gotten me over it, too...each time we move we've gone to smaller and smaller places. I do love that I can digitally archive everything now with my camera (and probably still look at things as often as I would have the real thing). :)

    @ Lorena - It sounds like a word. I'm sure that there will be some things I get asked about in the future, but I do keep things that are sentimental to me (photos, my grandmother's sweater, yearbooks, every single note my husband has every written me), but it's the random stuff I had too much of and have no problem tossing--every single movie stub and concert ticket, all the invitations, programs, and place cards from all the weddings I'd ever been to So I think I'm mainly just making up for all the over-hoarding I did in the past.

    @ Aubrey - I think photos are valuable...at least scan them!

    @ Caroline - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! I'd say this is my favorite outfit you've posted to date - you look amazing :)

    xoxo Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing. What kind of Franco Sarto boots are those? Are they the road boot? I'm looking for a nice pair of leather boot like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look amazing. What kind of Franco Sarto boots are those? Are they the road boot? I'm looking for a nice pair of leather boot like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ betrunknwn - It's the Rider boot from last fall. I don't think it's still available, but the Road boot looks similar! I definitely recommend Franco Sarto...I have a few pairs of their shoes and they're great (though a bit of an investment).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the analysis you did... It shows how deeply you involved in your work....

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.