Thursday, June 16, 2011

First lady [outfit]

Agaci blazer
kate spade pumps
ann taylor ruffle tiered top
A'gaci blazer - 2011 - $26 (similar) / Ann Taylor Factory Store top - 2011 - $20 on sale (similar) / LOFT pencil skirt - 2009 - $13 on sale (similar) / Kate Spade pewter pumps - 2011 - gift (similar) / Natural pearls - 2007 - gift (similar) / Nancy Rosetta circle ring - 2010 - gift (similar)


Outfit analysis: Speaking of small steps, this is the fourth time I've worn this blazer, and the first time I've busted out of the white tee - blue jeans combo. I started this look with the top untucked and a black belt around the natural waistline, but a) it just didn't look right and b) it definitely didn't look right once I added the blazer. I could probably have added a belt onto the tucked look, too, but I like it without just the same. And something about wearing a colorful outfit makes me reach for these shoes, but I'm not complaining.
___

I'm not actually a first lady (duh), but my husband does study the presidency and the piping on this jacket is just so DC chic that I went for the title anyway. But come to think of it, this outfit looks kind of like it could have been picked by the fabulously stylish Michelle Obama herself. Classic pieces. Fun colors. A mix of affordable (LOFT, A'Gaci) and high-end (Kate Spade). My husband always gets asked if he plans on entering politics (the answer is no), but if he ever did, I think I know what I'm wearing to his swearing-in.

Who is your style inspiration? What draws you to their style?

15 comments:

  1. I don't really have just one person. I'm inspired by lots of people.

    I really, REALLY love the navy and purple in this outfit. You look absolutely stunning!

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit and it is totally DC chic. The fuscia against the navy is beautiful and that blazer is amazing. I really really need that blazer. Need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I thought that blazer looked familiar, then when I saw it was A'gaci, I was like "Oh, that's why. Because I work there." Lol!

    You look super cute. I love that color of skirt! Question: Do you tuck your shirt into the skirt? How do you keep from having a "shirt" line?


    The Whimsy Factory

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great look, Angeline, love how you've combined the colors! I'll echo the "shirt line" question from Lindsey. I'm glad the longer shirts are coming back in style, but when they hit mid-hip, tucking them into a pencil skirt gives an awkward line. My remedy thus far has been a cardigan that hits mid-hip and covers the problem... ie: a cop out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lookin sharp! Totally ready for a publicized scandal :)
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look fantastic! Adore the blazer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool color combo. I love the shiny pumps :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am certain you are your husband's first lady :)
    I do not have a particular style I follow, I try to be inspired by anything that calls my attention. It can be something in a magazine, someone walking in the street or the person behind me in the customs line at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a great blazer...i have a similar one in black and white. the contrasting piping is a fun detail that adds interest to the outfit.

    rockoomph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The piping on the blazer is wonderful--this looks both polished and casual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colors of this look so much!

    This jacket looks like it was made for you, flatters your pretty figure :)

    You would make a very elegant first lady for sure!

    Virginie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love that blazer. I get stymied by some of my pieces so I need to take a page from your book and start trying them with different things until I find an option that works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My style inspiration is Victoria Beckham. I like things that are well tailored, chic, and fitted. www.bravoerunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't really have a style inspiration I love looking to other bloggers though. You look great in this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Sorren - thanks! I'd had my eye out for a blazer like this one for a long, but I finally caved and bought this one. So worth it.

    @ Lindsay N - I think that's where I first heard of A'Gaci--from your blog! And then when I saw one right around the corner when I was in Chicago, I knew I had to go. Thanks for the tip. :)

    @ Lindsay and Ashley - I do tuck in to my skirts pretty often. Several tips--I make sure my skirt isn't too tight and pulling. Thin top if possible. No extra layers under the top. I think the fit of the skirt is the most helpful. Also, if the skirt has some heft to it and lining, it usually prevents any show through.

    @ Nikkibit - Oo la la. I wonder what it'll be? ;)

    @ eek - thanks! They're my new favorite.

    @ Lorena - I love how you show your inspirations (especially your recent magazine series).

    @ Virginie's Cinema - Thanks, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.