Thursday, February 24, 2011

Menswear inspired

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional blog business casuasl old navy trousers the limited top vest belt swapped necklaces
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional blog business casuasl old navy trousers the limited top vest belt swapped necklaces
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional blog business casuasl old navy trousers the limited top vest belt swapped necklaces
The Limited top - 2009 - $20 (similar) / Knit vest - 2011 - hand me down (similar) / Old Navy trousers - 2006 - $6 (similar) / Brown belt - 2010 - swapped (similar) / Blake Scott red pumps via Off Broadway - 2010 - $40 (similar) / Forever 21 leaf necklace - 2010 - $5 (similar) / Grouse and Badger typewriter key ring - 2010 - $5 (available)

I know, I know. It's these pants again. I actually wore it this week, though (Tuesday's outfit was from earlier this month). I liked this outfit so much that I ignored the six other backlogged outfits that are still waiting to see the light of screen. 

It was one of those days--I had two meetings in the morning, including one I was in charge of. It was completely internal, so suiting up was not necessary.  I recently saw some belted vest looks over at J's Everyday Fashion, and remembered I had this vest lying around...it was handed down to me last time I hung out w/ my girlfriends. It's not quite the same style as J's, but I liked the result anyway. In hindsight, I'd like to add my brown velvet blazer next time I try this--would be like a mismatched three-piece suit! But oh well. This was fun, too.

What worked
The vest and belt made the outfit look almost suit-like without being too matchy.

What didn't
The pants look really long in the pics, but really they just slip down a lot. They have this really weird thin waistband with no belt loops and so they're always slipping down. While I love love love these pants to death, having to adjust them often is a bit annoying.

How do you make menswear work for a woman?

20 comments:

  1. I haven't really ventured into menswear yet but I've seen so many bloggers rock it that I might need to try. I love the teal and red - we're doing similar colors today!

    Would you be able to add beltloops to the pants to make them fit better?

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog this week and I loooove your style. Cute, trendy, colorful, & PROFESSIONAL - a welcome change to a lot of other fashion blogs I like but just didn't offer practical office wear suggestions (at least not for my office LOL).

    Anyway, this look is great - love the vest / shirt combo & the neutral - mixing...all things I never would've thought to do, but I'm gonna try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That vest is so smart!!! Nice outfit... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always afraid to go too far into menswear, but I love this. I have been looking for a similar vest, and when I find it, I'm going to belt it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love how you've managed to make menswear look soft and feminine. it's probably because the tops you wear are lightweight materials. brava.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this look, I have never tried a belted vest. ..
    I agree with you on the pants looking too long, I was going to suggest higher heels but then I finished reading the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you were able to keep this look feminine. Your details are fabulous! The color mixing, the necklaces, the neckline and sleeves of the top, and the proportions are right on! Speaking of proportions, you would need to keep that in mind when choosing a blazer, you want to keep it feminine! Great look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit. So work appropriate but still fashionable. I think I need a vest now. My avid reading of blogs are making my closet expand!

    My Growing Obsessions

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore those pants and want a pair! Love the overall look as well. You're right; this is a great work outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pants- they look good on you. I don't think I could handle the constant adjusting however.
    I could handle your skinny waist so I could rock the skinny belts like you do.

    You rock the skinny belts. Don't argue. It's a fat fact.

    the Citizen Rosebud

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, thanks for stopping by Rags. I like the belted vest look. I don't have any sweater vests in this length or I would try the look soon myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a GREAT knit vest!! I love this, it looks sort of like menswear but soft and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ melissa - I don't think so. There's not really even a waistband. If I did loops it would end up being the thready kind that's often seen on dresses. Could be worth a try though--they're as easy to cut off as sew on!

    @ gabe - thanks! and welcome!

    @ polka princess - thanks! "smart" is a nice adjective for it.

    @ grace - I hear ya. I think the proportion, color, and belt keep it from being too manly.

    @ laura - thanks!

    @ lorena - heh heh, yeah. It's funny--in photos when I pull them all the wya up, the hips look funny, probably because I have a pretty straight figure. So I pull them down. Then the bottoms look funny. Oh well.

    @ keri - good point! My brown velvety blazer is pretty cropped and girly, so I think it would work!

    @ sam - thanks! I feel you on wanting to acquire more from reading blogs, which is tempting, but I just remind myself debt (or less savings) isn't always worth it. :)

    @ TZ - thank you!

    @ the citizen rosebud - I do love a good skinny belt. I may be addicted.

    @ terri - no prob--love your style! I think it could probably work with various lengths (J, the inspiration, used a longer vest and it looked really nice, too).

    @ hope - thanks! my besties have the best style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love your style! Love the belt and the vest!

    Your response to a question on my blog was posted today. Loved your answer!

    http://www.classycareergirl.com/2011/02/your-thoughts-what-is-truly-worth-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love that vest. I agree that it dresses up the outfit without making it too formal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't wear vests often enough! I like this and I like your multiple necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ classy career girl - thanks!

    @ kimbrasue - it really does! Great thing is, it also works with casual wear!

    @ vanessa - me neither--but I do like how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the layering you did here! I think the whole things looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.