Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A positive start to the new year

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional business casual style gap blazer banana republic sweater ryan fit trousers red pumps nordstrom earrings american eagle necklace
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional business casual style gap blazer banana republic sweater ryan fit trousers red pumps nordstrom earrings american eagle necklace
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional business casual style american eagle necklace
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional business casual style nordstrom earrings

The Rundown
Gap blazer - 2006 - $40 (similar)
BR sweater - 2008 - $30 (similar)
BR Factory trousers - 2009 - $20 (similar)
Blake Scott heels via Off DSW - 2010 - $40 (similar)
AE necklace - 2011 - $4 on clearance (similar)
Nordstrom stud earrings - 2010 - Christmas gift card (available)

Happy New Year, loves!  Hope you all had some time to unwind and catch up with friends and family over the holidays.  As you've noticed, I took a week off of my normal scheduled blogging to do just that. K and I started off our holiday with a seven-hour drive on Christmas Eve down to Southern California, where we jetted off to four Christmas celebrations in four counties in three days. Lots of fun.  And then we got to relax. It was divine. K's family, which we saw for three of our four celebrations, is awesome and some of them read my blog, meaning I got some really spot-on clothing items as gifts! Can't wait to work them into the rotation (they're currently awaiting laundering since I wore almost all of them over break already!).

This is what I wore for my first day back in the office.  Simple and easy.  The necklace and earrings are new--the necklace from an outlet jaunt with my besties on New Year's Day and the earrings purchased using a gift card from K's aunt.

What worked
What I loved most about this outfit was the color combination--nothing too wacky but just unusual enough to be intriguing.  Purple and orange-undertoned red are a two-third color combo, according to the super-useful Academichic color wheel, and the variety of neutrals (black, gray, and khaki-ish) is pretty fun, too.

What didn't
These pants were pristine and wrinkle-free this morning, but by midday they were a bit of a mess. I think once I start shopping again (March 1), I'm going to avoid unlined trousers. I don't know how much that will help, but I think it may help a little. Plus, lining helps the fabric fall better (I definitely notice a difference between my lined and unlined pants).

What unusual color combos have you tried recently? How did you like them?

14 comments:

  1. Happy 2011! I am not looking forward to returning to work today. Hope your day was good :)

    I like your first day outfit. Simple but dressy enough for work. I have a problem with wrinkly clothes as well - I find things with a little stretch usually stay less wrinkled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havne't tried many unusual color combinations lately but I did buy my first piece of clothing with sequins on it! They are tiny but it's a baby step :-)

    That necklace is amazing and you have some awesome stud earrings!

    Happy New Year! Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your accessories today. Great picks! Welcome back to blogging. I agree that lined pants not only fall better they also tend to stay wrinkle free longer.
    No Guilt Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this necklace. You would never guess from far away that it is so many fun layers. It looks great with this casual outfit. - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love that jewelry! I know the earrings are a change from your pearls, but you rock them well!

    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I hate how trousers do wrinkle after awhile, do you think lining makes a difference?

    xoxo Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you are back. I love your earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally into Gray and Brown as of late. Call me crazy!
    Love the blog and the earrings!!!

    Cheers,
    kDrs

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ eek - oo good call. These pants don't have much stretch.

    @ rochelle - sequins are awesome! I don't have any sequined items yet, but someday...

    @ no guilt fashion - Thanks! I do think lined things are less wrinkly.

    @ KT - Thanks! It is so much fun, and for only $4 I couldn't say no.

    @ Nicole - Yeah, but they're still studs so I"m still in my comfort zone!

    @ maria - I don't have any evidence, but I think it might.

    @ Destrehan's daughter - thanks!

    @ kdrs - I LOVE gray and brown (any combo of neutral + neutral, actually).

    @ Rebecca - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried purple and green together (green sweater, purple lace tank that peaked out at the neck and from the bottom). I felt like a peacock all day, but actually really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the necklace and the STUDly earrings! teehee...miss you already! thanks for making time for us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the necklace and the earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ ksbooks - that sounds like a great color combo! peacocks sure are beautiful.

    @ t - great minds think alike! loved seeing you and getting to spend time with you TWICE!

    @ colleen - thanks! I've been really happy with my accessory purchases during this year of not buying new clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.