Friday, January 7, 2011

Executive Summary | Links for your weekend | 01.07.11

My little game from our 11-hour drive home from vacation on Sunday. These are all the different state license plates we saw, minus California (that would be cheating).  I drew some of the ones I couldn't read. In all we saw 26 states, not including the unidentifiables. I know Arizona is on the list twice, but I only counted it once.

How did the first workweek of the year go for you? I tried desperately to psych myself up Sunday night, but after that drive I was just not into it. Oddly enough I woke up before my alarm on Monday and have been on "go" mode ever since. I've surprised myself with my productivity.  Still excited for the weekend, though!

I don't know if it's my enthusiasm for the new year and what lies ahead, but this week has just been chock full of good reads that have kept me motivated and positive.  Here are some of my faves.

Fashion and style
  • This week has instilled in me some serious closet envy. As in I want one, preferably a walk-in. Someday I will have one and I will organize it a la Jill and Kendi.
  • Style Underdog notes how short Banana Republic skirts have gotten, and Style Nation agrees. Do you? BR has typically been my standby for work clothes, but I haven't seen anything lately that would pass muster at my business casual office (not that I'm looking to buy--promise!).
  • Every working gal needs to keep some business cards handy (I keep mine in the side pockets of my leather coin purse--work cards on one side, blog cards on the other). I do love this pick from Sactown gal Bows and Sparrows, though--wood just makes everything look nice and sleek and sturdy.
  • If you haven't tried mixing patterns yet, you should. If you don't know where to start, start here. And then follow Suze's blog. She's awesome.
  • I've been jonesin' to do some crafting lately but just haven't had time. Too bad, because I just added this and this to my to-do list this week. Thanks Keira and Elizabeth for the ideas!
Career and office
  • Many people have a LinkedIn profile (I do!), but I've always felt I wasn't really using LinkedIn to its full potential by just posting info. So I joined a few groups. Next, I'll be trying out these tips for using LinkedIn Groups from Social Media Examiner.
  • I'm a sucker for some office space eye candy. Emily from Cupcakes and Cashmere's space reflects her amazing style. I want color-coded files!
  • In this season of resolutions, Classy Career Girl's 2011 Networking Challenge is enticing. I don't think I'm up to the challenge as she'd laid it out quite yet, but definitely want to work on my networking this year. Are you joining in?
  • Not quite sure how to act in a new professional environment? Check out Careerealism's seven tips to help young professionals fit in.
After hours
Sacramento
  • There's just something about the new year that is so positive, and from the looks of Ashlee's post this week, I'm not the only one that thinks so. Check out her inspirational pledge to choose joy this year and join in the fun!
Shameless plugs
What good reads did you find on the interwebs this week?

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see how your necklace turns out! Thanks for the shout-out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ keira - my pleasure! love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.