Friday, January 14, 2011

Executive Summary | Links for your weekend | 01.14.11

Trying to kick my second cold of the season. Thanks K for sharing.

Who else is excited for a three-day weekend? I know not everyone gets this day off, but I hope those of you that do take some time to relax and enjoy yourselves. It's finally starting to look up weatherwise in Northern California (meaning it only rained twice this week instead of five times), and even though it's only January and I know spring is still months away, I am so so ready and excited for it.

On to the links! Lots of good stuff this week, so let's get started. [Note, if you come across and neat link you'd like to see featured here, feel free to email it to me anytime during the week. I usually write these posts on Thursday nights, so they run Fri-Thurs.]

Fashion and style
  • A little sparkle is a good thing. A lot of sparkle is a great thing. Get your own custom version of this season's hot shoe by following Pixie in Pumps' easy tutorial!
  • Another fun DIY for y'all - Assorted Amelia tackles the necklace problem with a sweet hanging frame.
  • Loving this BAGGU duck tote featured by Bows and Sparrows (their classic reusable bag is a staple in my purse, too).
Career and office
  • Informational interviews can be valuable for expanding your network or learning about a new industry or career path.  Classy Career Girl posts her tips for getting (and acing) one.
  • Are you burned out? Would you know if you were? Lifehacker offers their advice for how to recognize burnout and what to do about it.
  • Loving this informative article from Woman's Day--10 things your boss won't tell you. The parts on attitude and taking responsibility are my faves on this list.  What are yours?
  • Do you prefer working from home or being present in the office? Does it even matter? Employed Panache tackles the question of presence in the office.
  • Confession: I throw out "dear" and "hon" like crazy when I talk to my girlfriends (and K).  But I put the cap on it when I get into the office, although we all know someone who doesn't. The Thin Pink Line this week discusses using sweet nicknames in the workplace.
  • I'm not big on resolutions, but Miss Social's career-based ones are really inspiring me to get on it, especially seeing her complete her 2010 ones. Do you set career resolutions?
After hours
  • My french fry obsession is no secret. And now neither is my desire to visit the Boise Fry Factory
  • Even when things aren't going your way, there's always at least one good thing you can take away from your day. I love Under the Sycamore's nifty DIY best of days notepad...so creative, and I could see it being so uplifting, too!
  • Although I don't read as much as I'd like to, I love books.  And when I grow up (ahem), I'd like to have a library in my home, like one of these.
Have a great Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend!  Aren't civil rights grand?

4 comments:

  1. Fun links, thanks for sharing! Hope you feel better, I'm finally getting over my cold too -_-

    xoxo Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for featuring me! I posted a link to your blog on my Twitter and FB :) Great links, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to go to the boise fry factory as well!! lovin the baggu love. :) have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ maria - thanks, girl! Hope you get better soon!

    @ misssocial - no prob...love your blog and so excited to watch your new business grow!

    @ anniemalchang - seriously, my baggu is soooo awesome and I use it all the time. We need to make a trip to boise!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.