Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mirror-free is not the way to be [outfit]

miami fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional merona dress aerosoles shoes
miami fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional merona dress aerosoles shoes
Mossimo dress via Target - 2011 - $10 on clearance (available) / Aerosoles suede loafers via Macy's - 2007 - $30 on sale (similar) / Emilie M. bag via Marshall's - 2011 - $25 (similar) / Dark pearl necklace and matching studs - 2011 - gift (similar) / Ball chain necklace - old - cheap (similar)
[Worn: 09.07.11 | To: Meet w/ Dress for Success Miami and run errands]

I really need to get a full-length mirror. I felt great in this outfit, but that's mainly because I didn't see what the dress + shoes looked like until I got home. My feet were a bit sore (I wore heels Wednesday and ended up spending 4+ hours on my feet), so I wanted to be comfortable. I love the dress and shoes separately, but never again will they be worn together.

Yesterday, I met with Dress for Success Miami/Suited for Success to discuss volunteering options. The organization is basically about everything I love...helping women and men prepare for careers through training and wardrobe. And now that I have a flexible schedule, I wanted to get involved and meet new people. Turns out, what they need help with is what I know how to do, so we have a follow-up meeting next week, and I'm helping at their Fashion's Night Out table tonight.


Where do you volunteer?

[Edit: I couldn't remember where I first saw a necklace worked this way, but now I know it was from Elaine at Clothed Much. She tricked out her pearl strand with a ribbon, which works great if you don't have a shorter necklace that complements your strand. Thanks, Elaine!

21 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for getting out and volunteering right away! And I have to laugh with you a little bit about the shoes/dress, and you're kinda right. I LOVE the loafers though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the dress is really flattering on you! love how you extended the necklace--neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the dress and shoes look great together. I also love your DIY pearl necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you will be working with Dress for Success. I love working with them! And, I am loving the strands of pearl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you did with the pearls. Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I think they look rather lovely together! What a great dress! And good luck with your volunteering. That sounds like great fun for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely outfit, and wat do you know? I volunteer there once a week too (all the way over in Canada I mean). I lvoe going there, its more fun than work!

    xo Nav
    http://navlandstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind the dress with those shoes! :)
    http://work-it-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA ! Well yes Angeline, I wore shoes :)
    I adore this dress on you and the necklace totally takes it to the next level !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty dress! It's professional and the necklace is a great addition.

    I volunteer at the dog shelter sometimes and it's a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great dress ($10!). And I'm totally going to steal your necklace extension trick.

    I'm looking for an animal shelter to volunteer at since my husband and I want to get dogs within the next year. We'll need the practice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow this dress looks amazing on you and I love that necklace too!

    What a great volunteering gig, sounds perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think they look good together, too - the necklace ties in the color. I LOVE the idea to extend the necklace! And I also thought of this blog when you said you went without a mirror: http://www.ayearwithoutmirrors.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I often feel like that when I don't have a full-length mirror either! And your necklace reminds me of my necklace tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be curious to hear how the FNO works out. This sounds like a great cause. I don't see the problem between the shoes and the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ S - thanks!

    @ basiccravings - I am so excited...everything I hear about the org is great, and the local branch here is super-active in the community.

    @ noguiltfashion - Thanks! I got the idea from Clothed Much (although I forgot where I saw it when I originally wrote the post).

    @ Christine - Thanks! I don't think they're terribly bad together, but it just looked a little off to me.

    @ Lorena - Thank you!

    @ caroline - I read about that! Not sure about the whole thing...I mean, I'd want to at least check a mirror when applying makeup and doing hair, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok genius on the necklace. I have never seen that done and I am definitely loving it.

    And I love that dress. That's really exciting that you are getting to do some volunteering that you love. That's such a wonderful organization too. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this dress, and now I'm totally regretting not picking it up when I saw it at my Target. I may have to make another trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ pixie in pumps - thanks! i've been keeping my eye on those cute necklaces wih clumps of pearls at the bottom but haven't found one to buy yet...and now i may not even need to!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The idea with the necklace is simply amazing! Now I know what I'm gonna do tomorrow, before going out to the theatre. Thank you)))
    I really like your dress - it'sthe perfect dress for work and meetings. The color is so great and versatile, and I really like the way the waist part is made. Great, great dress <3

    http://tri-skelos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.