Friday, September 9, 2011

Executive Summary | Links for your weekend | 09.09.11

Office progress so far...planning wall placement and a cork squares cut down to size.

Happy Friday, folks! I'm so excited for NFL's opening weekend, I even stayed up until midnight to watch all of last night's opener (I forgot how late games go on the East Coast). And with football season comes fantasy football. I'm in my regular league w/ K and our friends and also a fashion blogger's league. For real. The Color Blockers are Linda, Liz, Suze, Jenni, Sarah, Keri, and Amanda. I've been playing fantasy sports for years, and have rarely been the only woman in my league, but there is something refreshing about playing with a group of ladies that love the sport as much (or more) than I do. Game on, friends!

If you're not too into football, or just bored during halftime breaks, here are my favorite reads this week.
  • It's great to have a job you love, but having a non-dream job doesn't have to be the end of the world. Pretty Young Professional shares some great tips on how to make the most of it.
  • I'm convinced that if I had these measuring cups, I'd be a better baker. [via Swissmiss]
  • Office + fashion = my wheelhouse. Loving the great Who What Wear workspace featured on Apartment Therapy this week.
  • On Writing Well is one of my favorite writing books, but the rest of the book on Stepcase Lifehack's list sound like they're worth checking out, too. My fall reading list, perhaps?
  • How in the world did we get to the current resume? Mashable traces the modern history of this much bemoaned (and questionably relevant) document.
  • There are only so many i'm-a-big-city-journalist-and-I-shop-all-day movie characters I can handle, so I love The Grindstone's carefully edited list of their favorite savvy female journalists in the movies
  • Business and style savvy are not mutually exclusive. Financial Times explores the role of financial prowess in fashion.
  • We all have a few bruises along our resumes, but understanding your risk factors and framing them appropriately in an interview can turn potential negatives into positives. [via Lifehacker]
What were your favorite reads this week? More importantly, will you be watching football this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. *GASP* i'm playing you this week, right???????? i haven't ever actually 'met' you. but i think we are opponents.......hmmmmmmmmmmm, what should i think about this. love it :) so excited about this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes games are so late on the East Coast. I struggle to stay awake to watch them most of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.