Friday, September 16, 2011

Executive Summary | Links for your weekend | 09.16.11

The view from my walk this morning.

Happy Friday, folks! It looks like the Expedit I want for my home office is finally back in stock, so I'll be busy allen-wrenching and unpacking this weekend. I cannot wait until I can turn my head and not see a cardboard packing box in my line of vision (aside from sticking my head in a corner). What do you have planned?

Some great reads from this week:
  • I have lots of opinions on office wear (as you've seen), but they're just that: my opinions. Salary.com recently did a survey about office dress codes, and to be honest, the results aren't that surprising. What you wear affects your workplace.
  • If I could have a planner for every single purse I own, I would. Unfortunately, that would be a bad way to stay organized. But maybe I can find room for this amazing (and customizable) planner seen on Srsly Liz.
  • When it comes to fit, I rarely alter my clothing (with the exception of bridesmaid dresses). But in case you do, or if you'd like to but don't know where to start, Corporette's guide to suiting alterations is a great resource (written by Extra Petite).
  • I take my time off seriously, even if it's just a long weekend trip to see my girlfriends, but a lot of folks either don't take their earned vacation or feel guilty when they do. Classy Career Girl offers some great tips on how you can get rid of that guilty feeling.
  • These should be no-brainers, but if you work in an office, you should read Professiongal's post on break room etiquette. Just in case.
  • If you're a student stressing about your major, don't. Your college major doesn't matter (Lindsay Pollak explains). I should know...I haven't used my college major since, oh, I graduated from college.
  • I usually like to make my own pillowcases for around my home, but if I didn't, I'd get these magazine pillows. [via Curbed.com]
  • Co-worker competition is inevitable, and can be tricky when you're friends. The Grindstone offers some tips on how to deal in those situations.
  • Another good read from the Grindstone this week: Should corporations accommodate women's failure to negotiate?
What good reads did you find this week?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your tip about choosing a college major. Though it is very important to have the best education in college to get a decent job in the future, college major may or may not play a big role on your future career.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.