I have a few requirements for my purse:
- Zipper. Call it paranoia but I can't stand letting others have easy access to the contents of my purse (ironically the purse I carried throughout NYC as a grad student did not have a zipper on it).
- Medium to medium-large in size. My must haves: wallet (large), camera (point-and-shoot, umbrella (until summer finally hits), sunglasses, keys, phone, chapstick, plenty of pens, bobby pins, and hair ties.
- Over-the-shoulder. I like to keep my hands free.
- Outside zipped pockets. For my chapstick and cell phone. Again, somewhat paranoid.
- Leather or leather-like, non-patent. Just a personal preference.
- Work appropriate. Most likely a satchel or tote. Hobos that are too slouchy or totes that are too large can look casual and unprofessional.
- No monogram, label, or tag denoting maker. Details like zippers and studs are fine.
There are a few reasons I haven't yet taken the plunge to just buy a black purse. I haven't found one that I like in my price range, and I am wary of shopping online (especially if it's a synthetic bag...they run the gamut like crazy).
Some bags I'm mulling over (most of which are out of my desired price range, but someday I may just have to cave).
This back has a great shape and nice stitch detailing. At 13" x 10" x 5", it can also fit a folder or notebook for a meeting, too. The metal tag looks removable (a plus).
A similar style, and very much like the bag I already carry. Old habits die hard, but they don't let me down, either.
This bag also comes in black, but the photo wasn't loading well. I love the shape of this bag, and the footed detail. It's faux-patent, though, and I'm not a big fan of shiny. Otherwise this would be great.
This one is my fave, but wayyy out of budget. This "mini-bag" is a full 8" x 12.5" x 6.5"...I'm a little scared of what the regular size one looks like! I love this bag because you know I love studs. But the structured shape and muted color make this bag the perfect piece of flair for a toned-down professional outfit. Plus it transitions well to night and weekends.
I mentioned too-slouchy hobos as too casual for the office, but this gem is a great example of a hobo with office-appropriate structure. It would be a great bag for business travel...stash some reading, a sweater, and some snacks for the plane.
So now that I found some suitable options, it's time to find them in store to cop a feel (and start saving for my fave, the studded bag).
What color/shape bag do you carry to work? Do you buy bags online?