Thursday, October 13, 2011

Faux-bi [outfit]

Katerina Dress c/o Carissa Rose [review | disclosure] / Nine West peep-toes from Ross - 2009 - $25 / Natural pearl necklace - 2007 - gift

I almost titled this post "Who died?" because it looks like I'm going to a funeral. Nope. No one died here. Wore this for a little trip to South Beach to check out a jeweler's proposed designs for a commissioned Dress for Success Miami piece. It was gorgeous. I'm not a rich philanthropist type, but if I were, I'd want one. Time to kick the freelancing into high gear.

My favorite part of this outfit is the belt. The first time I wore this dress, I went with a classic front bow. This time I tried an obi-style. The ties are sewn into the side seams of the dress, but I'm seriously debating taking them off the dress and sewing them together to form an independent waist-tie (and so I can use other belts with this dress). Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Speaking of sewing I've been on a major sewing kick lately. This weekend, I made a new pillow for my office chair (based on this pin), and sewed a little tool belt for my three-and-a-half year old nephew (from this book). Next up: making a baby blanket for my brand new nephew (born on Monday!), new throw pillow covers for the couches, and finally doing this skinny pant DIY. I'm putting it off because even though it looks simple enough on screen, it's slightly terrifying to me to do such a large alteration myself.

Are you a crafter? What kind of crafts do you do?

8 comments:

  1. Yes, the obi (or cumberbund) effect of this dress is awesome! I have it too, and love that it accentuates your waist yet discretely acts as a upper ab girdle as well ;) Not that you need it, I was really referring to myself, lol!

    I'm a terrible crafter, as I don't have much time for it. I just added a new elastic waistband to a thrifted skirt, and it caused major stress. I can't wait to see your new pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooooooooooooooooo wish I had the talent that most of you ladies pull out. Sadly, I do not know how to thread the bobin on my machine (sewing class in a couple of weeks though!). I love the obi belt. So flattering and I hope you had fun at the expo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is gorgous....love love th color on you..not funeral attire at all!!! Hope you have been well:)


    Statements In Fashion: A Funky Little Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. g sent me this: http://www.designsponge.com/2011/08/diy-project-vintage-book-travel-tech-organizer.html which i really really hope to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous way to deal with self-ties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha--maybe someday we'll all be rich philanthropists...it could happen! :)

    I would LOVE to start sewing. The problem is, I don't have a sewing machine and I've never sewn anything in my life. I read a few sewing blogs and I really admire people who make their own patterns. I think I'm still building up the nerve to start sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Collette - You can't go wrong with an LBD, right? :)

    @ neurp - That is awesome! Looks easy enough, right? We should go on an old book search when I'm there...I have a whole bunch of book-related projects I've bookmarked (most of which involved taking them apart, though, so I don't want to touch any of the ones I already have).

    @ Sal - Thanks! I'm not a huge bow person, so this is definitely more "me."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sewing but I haven't done very much lately so I decided to take a class. I am hoping to learn some basic stuff and how to use a modern machine because mine is from the 50s or 60s.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.