Friday, October 7, 2011

Executive Summary | Links for your weekend | 10.07.11

A scene from the desk. The letter tray is a new addition...my best friends got me a gift certificate to The Container Store (among other really cool goodies) so I went shopping yesterday! So crisp and clean looking to corral magazine tear-outs and hair-ties.

I hope you all had a great week. I've got a weekend of work ahead of me, but am looking forward to the fall, which apparently is when Miami really comes to life. Festivals, markets, art fairs, book fairs...I cannot wait to see, do, and eat all that Miami has to offer.

A few observations about my new city:
  • Everyone is really affectionate here. No one warned us about this, but that's probably because we didn't know anyone here before we got here. The most common greeting is a cheek kiss, which I've deciphered to be more like a cheek touch with a kissing sound. I tend to be sort of an affectionate person, so this suits me just fine (K is warming up to it, too).
  • The diversity here is mind-blowing! I thought California was a melting pot, but Miami is on another level. At any one table in a restaurant you can hear three different languages spoken, and almost everyone is at least bilingual (most commonly Spanish, but really everything...I've even used my Chinese here). Just last week we had dinner with K's cousin, who is of the same Midwestern stock as K's mom (but speaks fluent Portuguese and some Spanish), his wife (of German and Italian heritage from Brazil) and her son, P & A (A is from Poland), and new friends V (of Brazilian and Italian heritage from Brazil) and L (of Lebanese heritage from Brazil). And we had homemade spaetzel. I'd never heard Portuguese spoken until I moved here, and now it's easily distinguishable to my ear. It is a beautiful language.
  • Miami is a major "who you know" kind of town, more than any other city I've ever been in. Everyone I've met tells me it's hard to make it as a freelancer here because it's all based on connections. And then they give me their business card and cell phone number and tell me to call them if I ever need anything.
I haven't had as much time to read as I'd like to, but since I didn't give y'all any links last Friday, here are some goodies from the past two weeks!
  • It's finally cooling down enough to pull out the blazers...check out how Katy's boyfriend blazer makes the rounds.
  • I'm not usually into recipes on blogs, but when I saw this mac & cheese recipe on Classic Noise right before a Target trip, I grabbed the ingredient and made it that night. I can't wait the eat the leftovers for lunch today.
  • For those Words With Friends fiends, check out this rundown of 17 vowel-free words that work.
  • This article sort of breaks my heart...Is an eating disorder part of the high-powered career woman package? It doesn't have to be. [The Grindstone]
  • In a super-timely and relevant-to-me post, the Daily Muse offers up some ways to network in a new city.
  • K and I often talk about our future home, and one of the things we want to build is a wood-fired oven in the backyard. After reading Serious Eats' post on barrel ovens, I might have a new direction.
  • As a writer, one of the most important things I can do for myself professionally is read a lot. It doesn't always happen, but these tips on how to read more from Zen Habits are a great place to start.
  • I've gotten better over the years at accepting compliments (a simple "thank you" usually suffices), but these tips from Elissa in her guest post on Beautifully Invisible are a great reminder that it's okay for other people to notice and acknowledge you.
  • Classy Career Girl share the top ten tips to transform your resume. I couldn't agree more.
  • For those that asked about my hair in this post, here is the tutorial from my new fave site, The Beauty Department (also in the under-photo credits in the post). And yes, I am wearing an elastic headband, but all of mine are black so you can't tell.
What were your favorite reads this week?

Edited to add: Speaking of modesty above, I totally forgot I wanted to share some more stuff with you all. File these under shameless plugs:

6 comments:

  1. I voted for you again! Good luck and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Beauty Dept is now one of my favorite sites, too. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Caroline - You're very welcome! I'm slightly older than LC's usual demographic, but I'm really impressed at what she's done with her success. Her column on Forbes.com is really good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out!! I'm excited I broke your recipe barrier and glad you enjoyed the mac and cheese.

    I had to delete my last comment because I forgot a part :)

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.