Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Colors for a cause [outfit]

Banana Republic sweater - 2008 - ?? but on sale / Target t-shirt - 2011 - $7 on sale / Target jeans - 2011 - $18 on sale / Calvin Klein pumps from Off Broadway - 2007 - $70 on sale / Scarf - 2010 - swapped

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

I'm wearing purple because relationships should not be abused for power. Because everybody deserves respect. Because you don't have to just sit there and take it, but you do have to take the first step and be committed to changing your life.

Domestic violence is a pattern of abusive behaviors — physical, sexual, psychological, and economic coercion — used by one intimate partner against another (adult or adolescent) to gain, maintain, or regain power and control in the relationship. Batterers use of a range of tactics to frighten, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, often injure, and sometimes kill a current or former intimate partner.

1 in 3 families are affected by domestic violence.  If you look at the ladies you're lunching with, chances are one of their families has been affected by it. Some people that I love dearly have been affected by it. It crosses all racial, economic, educational, and geographic boundaries.

If you are in danger, please call 911, your local hotline, or (in the U.S.) the National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-7233 or TTY (800) 787-3224.


 Spread the word. Purple and pink go well together, don't you think?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for using your blog to talk about domestic violence. I've never been in an abusive relationship, but I know too many friends who have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you yesterday while I was at my son's concert. Don't know what kind of music you like, but Miami has an excellent resource for live music: Frost School of Music at University of Miami. Most of the time, their events are free to the public. (Right now is Festival Miami, one of the big fundraisers, so most of the events require purchasing a ticket.) But there is SOOOOO much going on there, if you like classical or jazz or choral or opera . . . well, you get the idea.

    Here's a link to the Frost School website - check the calendar for events.

    http://www.miami.edu/frost/index.php/frost/frost_events/

    I may be biased - my son is a bassoon performance undergraduate - but check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scarf on you! Hope you are doing well in Florida, we miss you!
    nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to win the TopStar stool,the design is great and red is one my favorite colors.My work area is small so the size of the stool is good,plus the TopStar stool just looks like fun!
    Thanks for post.
    Height Adjustable Desks

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I have reposted this on my Facebook page! Nice outfit, truly excellent and worthy cause!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for posting this. It's really inspiring to see bloggers use their blogs to promote positive causes and educate the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you combine style with this essential information

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Kim - Thanks for the info! I actually know someone who works at UM's school of music! I'll have to check it out...I'm a classical music lover all the way, especially chamber ensembles (I was even a piano performance major for a bit in college), so it's right up my alley!

    @ nikki - thanks, dear! glad to see you're doing well in San Jose!

    @ sitbackandrelax - um...I think you have the wrong blog. Sorry.

    @ Jeannee - Thanks, girl! The more people who hear this, the better!

    @ Ashley - Thank YOU for reading. You're all what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.