Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I rock the iPad

Left these at home for my trip, but brought them with me on the iPad.

For the first time in a long time, I went on vacation without my computer. Although I did have access to my parents study room, I went on it only once, to print my boarding passes for our return flight. I did, oh, about 5 minutes of actual work, too (reviewing my latest post over at the Daily Muse). Aside from those two tasks, I stuck to my phone and iPad, which more than did the trick.

I'll be the first to say I was skeptical about the iPad. And then I received one as a gift (thanks, M&B!), and now I'm addicted. I've had it for about five months now, and it's been a great tool. My favorite uses for the iPad?
  • Reading. I wasn't looking for an e-reader of any sort, but I have to say, I read more now than I have in years thanks to the iPad. Not just ebooks (I use the Kindle app and iBooks, depending on price and where I have a gift card), but also magazines and blogs. Nearly all of my print subscriptions have digital counterparts that are free with my existing subscription. It really comes in handy when I don't want to lug a pile of magazines with me on a plane or to the treadmill. As for blogs, I use MobileRSS free, which syncs with Google Reader and easily opens posts in the browser when I want to comment.
  • Blogging. I never thought I'd need it, but I bought a blogging app and love it (I use Blogsy). If I already have photos uploaded into my Picasa or if I'm using a creative commons photo from Flickr, it's super easy to get my text ready and publish from the iPad. More often, I type a post and then save to draft to polish and add photos on my computer. 
  • Communication. Though I already have a smartphone, I prefer to use my iPad to respond to messages when I have it handy. I've also started using Skype and FaceTime since I've had my iPad. It's easier to hold than my laptop so I can walk around with it (I gave my friend a video tour of my apartment on our first Skype chat), and it's nice to be able to video chat with my iPhone-toting friends (I'm a Droid owner myself).
  • Entertainment. I keep up with HGTV and Bravo shows through their apps, and have been known to like a few games as well. And then, of course, there are those Saturday mornings spent rifling through YouTube videos in bed.
Just to clarify, I am not an Apple fan girl. I've never even bought an Apple product (my MacBook is a hand-me-down). But I see iPads everywhere, and have found mine to be really useful. I hope this post will be useful for fellow iPad owners who want to get more out of their tool. There are many other tablet options out there that probably have similar features if you're on the market for one.

No iPad post would be complete without a link to this gem (possibly NSFW), which came out years before the actual iPad. Enjoy!

Tablet users—what are your favorite apps and uses?

4 comments:

  1. i was skeptical when the first iPad came out, thinking "Do I really need a big iPod Touch?" But by the time the second one came out, I wanted one. And I love it! It's so easy to read books, mags and Web sites. Love Flipboard, Zite, Washington Post for news. Use Epicurious and Big Oven for recipes. Workwise, it's useful in meetings because I can just pull up an email, doc or Web site that I need to show someone. Plus, Angry Birds is there when I want to procrastinate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't have an ipad, but clibe sounds pretty cool: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clibe/id463087376?mt=8&ls=1 plus, it's free (well, for a limited time anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ anonymous - I feel ya...I don't even have an iPod and I still questioned the usefulness of the iPad. Definitely not a necessity, but it has become a great tool. I like Flipboard, to and will have to check out the others you recommend!

    @ neurp - oo that looks fun! just DLed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got one and used it for the first time today.

    Granted me getting it was actually my husband getting a new one and him giving me his old one. I suspect I will use it to blog, email, twitter, read reader, and maybe facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.