Thursday, November 10, 2011

Business as usual [outfit]

White blouse from Macy's - 2007 - gift card / Gap sweater - 2005 - $20? / Limited skirt - 2009 - $20 on sale / Enzo Angiolini pumps from Piperlime - 2010 - $35 / Necklace c/o Jada's Jewels - 2011

This is the most professional outfit I've worn in weeks. I'm not quite sure what it was (probably the fact that it was a Monday after a vacation), but I was just feeling it. I wanted the dressed up feeling. I wanted to wear heels. I didn't go far in this outfit, but it felt good while I was in it.

Now onto this sweater. I don't wear it often, but I've had it a long time and will probably never get rid of it. I remember the details of my purchasing the piece pretty clearly.

Let me set the scene.

Early September 2005. I recently moved to New York City begin grad school at NYU. One of the activities on our orientation week schedule is a job/internship fair. I only have three semesters to soak in all the journalism I can before I'm likely headed back to California, so I print out a stack of resumes and hit up some tables. I drop off a couple of resumes.

A few days later (I think it was the first week of classes) I have a free afternoon, so I decide to take a stroll over to Broadway in Soho to check out the shops. It's just a few blocks from my school-issued shared studio, and right before I get there, next to a wrought iron gate, I get a phone call. It's Time Inc. As in publisher of Real Simple, People magazine, In Style. I dropped off my resume and chatted with their internship coordinator a bit at the job fair, and it was at the top of my dream list.

After silently squealing in joy for a few seconds, I listen closely as the woman invites me in for an interview. I can't remember if she mentions what magazine or not, but no matter. I'm already in shopping mode, so I switch my mission to finding the perfect interview outfit. I walk into the Gap and head straight for the sale racks, since I'm fresh out of college and surviving on student loans and minimal savings. No luck. But then cable knit catches my eye. There are stacks of it in various colors on some shelves. And a small sign that says, "hey, these are on sale, too!" Not in those exact words. And that is how this sweater came to be mine.

I wore this sweater over this tie-neck top (purchased the same day) with black Forever 21 pants and red Payless flats. I remember feeling like I belonged in a country club. It must have gone well, since I got the internship (not with one of the big name mags, but with a smaller, custom publication). It was an awesome three semesters.

What clothing items do you still own and wear that hold the greatest memories?

8 comments:

  1. Sweet story, and excellent find in that sweater. I doubt it will ever go "out of style."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that story. Never part ways with that sweater, Angeline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great sweater for interviewing! You look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun story/memories to go with the sweater! And great that you continue to wear it - I've had more interviews/weddings/etc. that I've bought appropriate clothes for last minute that barely get used later... not allowing that in my wardrobe any more!

    p.s. I totally had that same sweater, in black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this interview/shopping story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to try this color combo! thanks for the story too!
    http://work-it-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Christine - Can't wait to see it! Love your color combos. :)

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.