Monday, March 29, 2010

Pretty please, with a cherry on top?

I don't know what I was thinking when I got dressed this morning, but if I could guess it was some not-fit-for-print moaning and groaning about how I woke up way too early (for me--5:45 a.m.).  To go outside while it was still dark. For a jog. On a Monday.  Ugh.  That's four out of four not normal things for me to have done within way too short a time period.  So forgive the craziness...in the end I think it worked out and I really ended up liking it.

From the outside, when I was outside, I looked totally safe and boring.

Trench: Rampage - 2007 - gc; Pants: Banana Republic Factory - 2009 - $12 (clearance); Shoes: Calvin Klein (from Off Broadway) - 2007 - $70

But open in up and it was a swirl of patterns and details.  My senses were on overload.  I am typically a plain solid-color kind of gal--florals of any kind are pretty racy for me.  But today was florals. And cardigan. And ribbon belt.  And bejeweled brooch. And an extra ring.

 
Ruffled shirt: Gottschalks - 2009 - $12 (clearance); Cardigan: H&M - 2009 - $30; Ribbon: Joann Fabrics;
Brooch: J. Crew - 2009 - $6.50 (sale); Ring: Etsy seller Grouse and Badger - 2010 - $5 (at Indie Sacramento)

So I left the pic nice and big for your enjoyment.  Because I had a ton of fun wearing this today, I hope it will pt a smile on your face too.  This cardigan, even though I've only had it a year, has shrunk a lot (I think...err...I hope).  Buttoning it would have made me look like a stuffed sausage.  But leaving it completely open would have been shapeless, especially paired with the wide-leg trousers.  I got this pretty black satin ribbon at Joann Fabrics a while back (for a craft project) and just wrapped it around myself, cut some nice diagonals on the ends, and double knotted it.  This brooch also comes with a bobby pin attachment, although I think it's a tad heavy to wear on my head.

This typewriter ring is my new piece of everyday jewelry.  I don't tend to wear much jewelry--on a daily basis I only wear my engagement and wedding rings and a pair of studs (either plain silver or cz).  I've worn this typewriter ring 5 of the 8 days I've had it so far.  Love love love love love.

I have to say, before I started this blog, I don't think I would have had the guts to pair all this together in one outfit.  I guess sharing about my wardrobe and reading other fashion blogs has really inspired me to try new things, and I'm starting to enjoy it.  I've always felt like dressing up for work was just that--daily dressup!  That's why I started the blog to begin with...to share my enthusiasm (as weird as it may be) for officewear and show people how fun it can be.  Little did I know it was going to be this fun!  Tomorrow's outfit is one I've been waiting all week (err...since last week) to wear.  It's a slight twist on one of my old standbys--something I came up with while on my six-month shopping ban last year.  A new day, a new outfit, a new attitude.

Stay snazzy, folks.

5 comments:

  1. I wish you had this blog when I had my old job--I would have been inspired to wear more than the daily drab stuff I wore. Oh well.

    Btw, can you do a piece on accessorizing? I suck at it. Especially--can you mix silver pieces with gold pieces? Is that weird? If you have dangly earrings, can you wear pendant necklaces of a different style with it? I think I apply too many rules to my own dressing.

    Keep up the fun posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that flowery blouse!! I hope I can find a treasure like that at the stitch swap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice try, but that darling isn't going anywhere! I'm bringing a crapload of stuff, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Floral Work all over the place and it really looks too good on you.Also the typewriter ring is looking good with the dress. But the cardign is looking shrinked as said by the author.For purchasing uniforms in Dubai, contact Wang uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cardigan is looking really shrunked.That's making the overall appearance average , otherwise the floral prints are making the look quiet good.For buying uniforms in UAE, contact Grand Uniforms Dubai.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.