Friday, March 12, 2010

Blue jean machine

Since I just talked briefly about jeans in a business casual environment yesterday, I thought I'd give an example today (read: I was itching to be really comfortable even though it was still Thursday).  I realized I haven't been showing you my entire outfit..since it's still pretty cold out here I usually have a coat or jacket on in the morning that I take off whenever I'm indoors.  Today it was my trench.


I also realized today that this blog is about looking good for work on a budget, so I've decided to add some price points to my details.  Today's outfit deets:
  • Trench - Rampage (from Macy's) - purchased with gift card in 2007 - $?
  • Sweater - Gap Outlet - 2008 - $20
  • Tank (under sweater) - Target - 2009 - $7 (sale)
  • Jeans - Old Navy - 2010 - $12 (clearance)
  • Belt - Gap - 2010 - $10 (sale)
  • Shoes - Nina (from Ross) - 2009 - $16

These trouser jeans work for work because of their dark wash and loose cut.  They're fitted through the hip, and from there they basically go straight down to the ground.  Wide-leg pants can look boxy, and that's where the pointy-toed pumps come in.  Any sort of interest down by the toe that's not too boxy will do...peep-toes, jeweled flats.

The belt was a last-minute add on--otherwise the sweater and jeans would be something I'd wear on a weekend.  Not quite sure yet if it works with the outfit, but at least the color matched.  Plus, the neck of the sweater goes up pretty high, which can make it look a little puritanical, and the belt breaks up the vast sea of brown.

Some detail pics for your viewing pleasure:

Love the sweater's ribbing (see how the sleeves match the body ribbing?).  I also love layering sweaters over tanks (Target's Mossimo makes some great affordable ones that I stocked up on before TGAAD).

Here's a closeup of the shoes (same ones from Monday).  Honestly, these shoes deserve their own post...they're comfortable, versatile, and super-snazzy.  I even wore them to dinner tonight (I usually change into flip flops as soon as I get home).

So there you go, jeans in an office.  Not too bad, eh?  Still working on getting used to being photographed everyday, even though it's just myself (well, maybe it's weirder just by myself).  Like the office though?  It's my actual work cubicle.  If you're lucky you'll get some other views next time.  Speaking of next time---I'll be back Monday blogging from Albuquerque, New Mexico!  Going with some coworkers for a national conference...wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. I love the pop of color from the coral belt. It dresses up the outfit and gives you shape! Fabulous addition. Not to mention I am obviously totally bias to the color coral! (See website for proof!) ha ha! PS love that you are bold enough to put yourself out their instead of using google or flickr images. You are a vision!

    Loves it!
    M.
    www.IntertwinedEvents.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooooove those shoes! Where are they from??

    ReplyDelete
  3. They’re by Nina, but I found them at Ross for super-cheap (they’re originally almost $90). They’re available online, too…the style is called “Palladin.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think it's good you included price points too. being fashionable while thrifty is always tricky.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.