Thursday, March 25, 2010

Apple tart sweetheart

Today's outfit was way out there (to me, at least). I've been reading lots and lots of fashion blogs and one cute idea totally caught my eye: layering skirts and dresses! No one does this better than Audi over at Fashion for Nerds (check out some of her layered looks here and here).

So when I put on this khaki safari-style dress this morning and was less than pleased with it, I looked over to the skirt side of my closet and grabbed another to toss on top. The end effect was less of a layered look, since the other skirt went on top, but it was completely different than the dress alone and a lot more fitting to my mood. The dress has a grommeted belt (which I love, see studs post from last week), which I simply tied over the skirt.
 
Dress: Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet - 2000? - $40; Skirt: Target - 2007 - $7; Shoes: Aerosoles - 2006 - $30

What surprised me most about this outfit was not that I had successfully layered something over a dress, but that everything in this outfit is at least three years old.  My mom bought me this dress in high school, and at the time it was one of the most expensive dresses I owned.  I've carried it with me through college, grad school, and two cross country moves, and yet can probably count the number of wears on my hands (and maybe a few toes).

Why would I hold on to such an item if it's something I rarely ever wear?  It's out of style (drop waisted, straight, with 6" slits up both sides of the skirt), underused, and only slightly comfortable (hello leg slits).  I don't know the answer but I'm glad I still have it for days like today.  Now that I have another way to style it, I'm not giving it up anytime soon (sorry Stitch Swap gals, you won't be seeing this on the racks).

Here's a sneak peek at the skirt of the dress:


This outfit put me in such a good mood that after dinner my hubby K and I walked around the local farmer's market (down the street from us) and grabbed an organic apple tart for dessert.  Yummmm.

Is there anything in your closet that you just can't bear to part with, no matter how seldom you actually wear it?

2 comments:

  1. okay, so i'm a guy with no fashion sense, but i do know what i like and i do like the ensemble much more than the dress and belt alone. i still wouldn't wear it, but...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i would never have thought to do that. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.