Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Like mother, like daughter

Everything I learned about shopping, I learned from my mother.  When we were young, she would take us on walks around the mall.  Even as recent as a few years ago, when I lived at home for a brief eight months, my mom and I would often walk the mall after dinner on weeknights.

It is fitting, then, that I would love my mother's closet.  During my visit this past weekend, it got a lot colder in Southern California than I expected.  I mean, really, I live in Northern California now...winter is a lot colder up here.  So silly me did not bring a jacket, and boy did I regret it.  I rummaged through my mom's closet before I went out with the girls for dinner and found this gem--a wool houndstooth blazer from the '70s.  I threw it on and out I went.  The next morning I left to head back up north and took the jacket with me.  My mom said to bring it back next time I see her, but I have a feeling she might have to pry it from my hands.

My mom comes to visit next month, so in the meantime, I will be making regular use of this blazer.  I wore it to work on Tuesday for a mismatched suit type look.  Threw a tie-neck shirt underneath to give it some feminine flair and tried to curl my hair (result: ponytail).

Details: Blazer - vintage (mom's); Top - Target; Pants - Banana Republic Factory Store; Shoes - Enzo Angiolini.

Here are some detailed shots of the outfit.  The pattern on the blazer is blue, black, gray, and brown.  The shoes I stalked for over a year before I found them on sale at Nordstrom.  Already planning on rewearing this outfit at my conference next week in New Mexico.

2 comments:

  1. your mom does have great taste (remember that cheongsam we found?). i always wished my mom and i were the same size... i've picked up two pairs of vintage jeans from her and a pair of shoes, but nothing else fits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously. I can only fit into some of her clothes, mostly dresses. Apparently there is a matching skit to this blazer, but if it was my mom's from the '70s I definitely won't be able to fit into it. I wonder if I could alter it though...hmmm

    I always wished I could fit into her shoes! My mom had fab shoes...when my feet got too big she finally donated most of them since she wasn't wearing them anymore. My fave were a pair of sunny yellow perforated leather slingback peeptoes...they were as fabulous as they sound!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.