Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Short sleeves in February

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional blog business casual gap blue sweater banana republic cowl old navy trousers enzo angiolini peeptoes nordstrom pyramid stud earrings leaf necklace
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional blog business casual gap blue sweater banana republic cowl old navy trousers enzo angiolini peeptoes nordstrom pyramid stud earrings leaf necklace
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional blog business casual gap blue sweater banana republic cowl nordstrom pyramid stud earrings leaf necklace
Banana Republic cowl neck top - 2007 - $30 (similar) / Gap short sleeve sweater - 2005 - $20 (similar) / Old Navy trousers - 2006 - $6 (similar) / Enzo Angiolini peep-toes via Nordstrom - 2007 - $70 (similar) / Nordstrom pyramid stud earrings - 2010 - gift (available) / Metal leaf necklace via Vanity Lounge Salon - 2010 - $22 (similar)

Another one from the archives (and there's still more where that came from).  This was worn on February 9, which I remember because it was my mom's birthday (and my cousin's twins' birthday, too!).  As you can tell, it was a gorgeous day outside...short sleeves! In February! And peep-toes! I miss that weather. I definitely love getting outside shots--these are straight out of the camera, not even a Photoshop auto contrast (the extent of my skillz).

One of my favorite work staples is a few good cowlnecks. I like sleeveless versions that can layer under things, or sweater versions that work well on their own. Usually I forego necklaces with a cowlneck, but that day I remember just feeling a little empty up top and grabbed this eye-catcher. I really loved the effect.

What worked
This outfit is a great go-to for a business casual office--good trousers, some sleeves, some color, and a fun (but not too crazy) accessory.  It was such a feel-good ensemble, as you can tell from my giant smile.

What didn't
I'm not sure the leaf necklace and the stud earrings really jived--I paired them together because of the dark metal colors (well, the necklace has multiple shades of metal), but I think the effect may have been too heavy.

What kind of neckwear do you usually pair with a cowlneck?

18 comments:

  1. You look lovely! I really like the tops layered that way and the blue is such a pretty color on you. The wide-legged trousers are awesome, too!

    For me it depends on the neckline of the top itself and the jewelry. And my mood. :)

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this look!! I miss that beautiful weather we were having too! I don't wear cowl necks but I think the necklace works perfectly with it!

    Enter my Scarf Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very rarely go without a necklace, but in this case I'd probably just go simple. A thin chain necklace with a pendant seems to work with pretty much anything. That, or depending on the outfit pearls could work too.

    Also, wishing I could wear short sleeves right now. I barely wear them inside at the moment, too freaking cold!

    My Growing Obsessions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this cowl-under-a-sweater look! I might have to try it if I can figure out a color pairing that works with what I've got!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely put-together look! :)

    I think a dainty chain with a small/medium pendant also looks nice with a cowl-neck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color combo and thank-goodness for warm days in the middle of the winter to remind us that summer will come again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this outfit--the proportions are just right. And that necklace is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a great cowl neck! I think you look fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grr, a bit jealous of the short sleeves, but it looks great! I love the proportion of the pants with the top. I would NEVER have thought to layer a cowl neck UNDER, but what a GREAT idea! Love it!

    And yea, sometimes a girl just needs some flats!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't typically wear a necklace with cowl necks, but this necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually read on by rss reader but I had to pop in and say I LOVE LOVE LOVE this look!! (And to answer your question - none. I'm lame about skipping a necklace if the neckline is at all funky on my outfit. I can't figure it out)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also have issues knowing what jewelry to wear with that neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This outfit has me so excited for the spring and sleeveless shirts outdoors. I feel as though the outfit is the epitome of a breezy, warm spring day at the office.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ melissa - Thanks, dear - I agree, mood definitely affects what accessories I add!

    @ sarah - thanks!

    @ sam - oo pearls would be nice!

    @ ashley - that would be great! Can't wait to see how you style it.

    @ polka princess - yes! pendants are pretty versatile.

    @ kimbrasue - amen! so excited at the prospect of spring!

    @ grace - thanks!

    @ mommyblogger - thank you!

    @ hope - yes! layers are my favorite.

    @ terri - thanks!

    @ vera - thanks for clicking on over! I'm with you--I usually default to no necklace at all.

    @ from suns to moons - thanks!

    @ colleen - Definitely a tricky situation.

    @ sorren - Thanks! I like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous necklace... that shade of blue is perfect on you!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.