Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Blazers are the best!

sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional business casual gap blazer ebew everybody everywear swapped pencil skirt target versie pumps belt forever 21 gray tights banana republic necklace
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional business casual gap blazer ebew everybody everywear swapped pencil skirt target versie pumps belt forever 21 gray tights banana republic necklace
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional business casual target versie pumps belt forever 21 gray tights
sacramento office fashion blogger angeline evans the new professional business casual gap blazer ebew everybody everywear banana republic necklace
Gap blazer - 2006 - $40 (similar) / JC Penney top - 2009 - gift card (similar) / Textured pencil skirt - 2010 - swapped (similar) / Gap belt - 2010 - $10 (similar) / Forever 21 tights - 2010 - $3.50 (similar) / Mossimo Versie pumps via Target - 2011 - $10.48 (available) / BR Factory necklace - 2010 - $10 (similar) / Nancy Rosetta silver circle ring - 2010 - birthday present (available)

Speaking of suit-like get-ups, here is one of my own.  Must have been the Make Believe Monday floating around my head when I got dressed today, but this tone on tone (on tone on tone) outfit had the puttogetherness of a suit combined with the monochromatic look I've been really into lately (apparently--not purposefully).

This is also my first Everybody Everywear submission. If you haven't checked out this site, you should! It is like a blogger event to eclipse all blogger events. With pictures. And a cool gadget that makes thumbnails of all our pictures. Very cool. Today is classic blazer day. See how others have styled theirs here.

What worked
I loved the shape the look created--a nipped in waist, straight skirt, three-quarter sleeve.  A nice outfit to kick off a (hopefully to-be) productive week.  I was a bit apprehensive of so much black and gray, but I really like how it turned out--the textures, sparkle, and shiny patent helped balance it out.

What didn't
It's tricky wearing black on black when the items don't exactly match--I think the prevalence of gray throughout my outfit and the difference in textures really downplays the color dissonance.

How do you feel about black on black when the tones don't match exactly? Do you have any tips on making it work or do you avoid it at all costs?

Image 245

25 comments:

  1. Very professional but not at all stuffy! I love the gray tights with the gray heels and the pop of coral from the belt is fantastic.

    toboldlywear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your monochromatic look and pop of color with the belt! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome way to wear a blazer. Love the gray and pop of color. You look beautiful (and happy)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like wearing different shades of the same color, and black is no exception. I think you look fantastic and I love the pop of color in the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that this matchy-matchy without being too matchy-matchy. The belt and shoes really add a nice pop to the whole look! Hey and thanks for participating in EBEW :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the whole grey on grey look........& the red accent too! :)

    I think when the black on black tone don't actually match, then we should throw in a wee li'l bit of texture or monochromatic print (in form of a belt or scarf) to draw the attention away from the mismatched tones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the contrast of the peachy belt against the black. Fabulous heels too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the kind words about the site. I love reading those because I get to share it with the fella!
    I have to say, I was looking forward to your look in particular because I knew you would come up with a fun, young way to wear the blazer while still looking professional. I am not disappointed. That colorful knotted belt is perfect!

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looove belted blazers, especially with colorful belts. And your shoes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm catching up on blog posts, and I wanted to let you know I really like your last couple monochromatic looks. Very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is such a gorgeous silhouette. I love this. and I think it all worked beautifully on you! And I am still totally in love with those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely understand the black on black predicament. I was going to attempt it today but then chucked that plan last minute and went casual for the day instead.

    The silhouette of this is amazing and the colour of your belt popped and took everything to the next level. I really enjoy this! Especially how you broke the black up with grey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Black on black bothers me on myself, but I think it's the thing other people don't notice (or at least I don't notice it on others). I like pairing black on black with different textures. I love this on you- the jacket looks like it fits perfectly and the shoes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the black and the gray diversifies the colors so it all works well together! The bright belt not only emphasizes your waist but keeps to cheery! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to not like the black on black becuase of the differences in the tone of each piece, but now I like it! I like how you used grey and black - it is a very simple idea but creates a really rich look. Nicely done!

    Classroom Chic

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the look. It's been so fun to see how everyone wears their blazers!
    I also don't mind the different shades of black, in fact, i think it adds some interest in this outfit! (And your belt is a great addition!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great blazer look for work! The details on the blouse and the bright belt are the perfect touches.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think for the office a bejeweled top works well when the outfit is monochromatic. And the different shades of the same color palette with the pop of color all lends to a purposefully pulled together look. I bet you were a big hit!

    As far as black on black, I've come to realize that anything works if you're confident and own the look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pop of color with the belt! Way to rock the blazer.
    Tiffany
    http://clothedcommuter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, this whole outfit totally worked, in my opinion! i LOVE the pink belt here being the only bit of color, and the grey tights with grey pumps? fabulous. you look very professional and chic and still, i dunno, down-to-earth friendly. love this.
    -brittney
    http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love black on black with a pop of color in accessories. I think your right, the grey really works here! You look very put together.

    http://mommyblogger-myownlittlecorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am ashamed to admit I don't own a blazer but your look inspires me to get one! You are right about the great shape they create, and I love that you belted it! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.