Monday, August 15, 2011

Mix, don't match [outfit]

miami fashion blogger angeline evans vintage scarf old navy skirt gap sandals
miami fashion blogger angeline evans vintage scarf old navy skirt gap sandals
miami fashion blogger angeline evans vintage scarf target earrings
Recycled plastic graphic tee - 2010 - swapped (similar) / Mossimo tank as undershirt - 2011 - $9 (available) / Old Navy skirt - 2010 - $10 on sale (similar) / Gap sandals - 2010 - $20 (similar) / Vintage scarf via Bows and Arrows - 2010 - $7 (similar) / Target earrings - 2011 - $6 (similar)

If I could go back and do one thing differently when packing for the move, I would have nailed down some outfit ideas before I started tossing clothes into the suitcase. Then I would have been able to wear this skirt more. You see, it has this drop waist, and it sits sort of low on my hips. Most of my newer tops are also on the longer and looser side, and when shapeless meets shapeless (and you're on the road without a belt), you get major sad face.

Now that I'm indoors more and out of the heat, my graphic tees have made a comeback. They tend to fit a little more snugly and end a little higher up on the hips, making this skirt look a little less frumpy. Graphic tee + skirt is a little too reminiscent of my 19-year-old self than I'm comfortable with, so I tossed in the scarf and earrings for good measure. Even though the colors of the scarf seem to have no relation to the colors in the tee, if you look closely there's a similar grayish blue and red-orange tinge going on. Plus, no one's looking at the graphics on the tee closely enough to try to figure that out, right?  Perfect for my breezy day of shopping the Goodwill and getting stuck in a rainstorm and sloshing through 3 inches of water to get to my car. I love you, Miami summer.

How do you dress up a basic or too-casual outfit?

17 comments:

  1. Great casual outfit <3 I love to add some jewelry - rings, neclaces, earrings, also belts and scarfs. This way outfit feel cassual, but looks more interesting)

    http://tri-skelos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED your vacation photos and was so excited you stopped in Austin. I hope this ridiculously hot summer didn't turn you off and you will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the laid back casual outfit. I dress up my casual outfits by adding accessories like triskelos does :)

    xo Nav
    Nav Land Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like dressing things up with accessories, hair stuff, and hats. Hats make you feel put together and so do hair bows or barrettes. They make outfits that revolve around shorts and tanks for me or even skirts and tanks feel prettier and more put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ADORE this, Angeline. Totally stealing this look from ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scarves are my savior. If all else fails in my closet, I go to my scarf drawer. :) Love the one you're wearing here. I have a bright purple one with similar design with fringe that I grab to change up an old ensemble. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super fun casual outfit. The scarf was a touch of genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this look! I'm going to have to try adding a scarf on top of a graphic T. When I need to dress up a casual outfit, I just slip on some heels. The added height makes me walk with a purpose and seem more polished even if I'm wearing ratty jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love seeing you in casual looks, too! And adding the scarf and earrings was a perfect idea. So cute, coordinated, and sophisticated--and still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Triskelos - Agreed! I really regret not packing any belts with me. :/

    @ basiccravings - girl...Austin was by far the hottest stop on our trip. But we had a lot of fun there! Hope to go back.

    @ Nav - thank you!

    @ Sal - Please do! Can't wait to see your rendition.

    @ professiongal - I don't have many scarves, but this is one of my favorites (which is why it made the cut)

    @ Vanessa - Thanks! I like it a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really like this take on casual! it's great to see graphic tees looking classy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the scarf!

    vanessa

    http://thepinkmateproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really like this, Angeline. It's definitely going in my "to copy" folder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ dotty - thanks! I love a good graphic tee (and this one's made of recycled plastic...partially at least)

    @ pinkmate - thanks, Vanessa! it's my favorite.

    @ Cynthia - oo I'd love to see your version...i'll bet you rock it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh good call... make a grown up version of your college outfits with grown up accessories. Why didn't I think of that myself?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute!!! I have the same skirt (in more than one color), but I always wear it the same way (with a fitted t-shirt). Do you have any other suggestions on how to wear it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Caroline - I'm a bit at a loss with this skirt, too. I tried it recently with a looser shirt and belted (see today's post: Black on Black). I'll keep looking for other options, tho!

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.