Thursday, September 2, 2010

Wear and wear again: swing jacket

It's been a while since I've done one of these, and I've been dying to do it again.  Problem is I feel a lot of the basics I wear over and over again are sort of boring, and it's hard to pick pieces to feature. But I'll try, I promise. Today's wear and wear again is the swing jacket, sometimes called trapeze, although mine is almost more like a blazer.

I bought this kelly green jacket at Old Navy back in January or February for about $30 (on sale).  I usually don't spend that much on Old Navy, since their pieces tend to fall apart on me, but something about this jacket just stood out. I don't know if it was the color, or the shape, but I don't wear it enough for as much as I like it.

Swingy/trapezy shapes can be hard to work around...you'll notice below that I usually balance it out with a more fitted shape on bottom.  With wide-leg trousers, the proportion would be totally off.

06_11_10


08_19_10 web


I'd really like to try this out next with a sheath dress or my khaki pencil skirt. Or maybe with another colorful piece, since I usually tone down the rest of the outfit colors with this jacket.  Or maybe just with different shoes.

How would you style this jacket?

9 comments:

  1. I love that jacket! Gorgeous color. I don't have any other styling suggestions, I love what you wore already and your ideas too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous jacket! Old Navy sometimes surprises me.

    How about with skinny grey pants/jeans/skirt and maybe a pale yellow top?

    ReplyDelete
  3. id probably wear a turquoise scarf, and a cream colored skirt :]

    your blog's philosophy reminds me of my post today :D have a look!

    and im a new follower :D

    <3 dennica pearl
    http://eyesofapearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shoes looks so chic. Love the green on you too. I have a lighter green color jacket but whenever I wore it, my friends used to say that I look like a person who works for LPGA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color. As soon as I loaded the page the color jumped out at me and I was going to post about it.

    I would wear something form fitting under it and maybe a belt so that you can see your curves. I'm all about everything being fitted all the time though so I'm a bad person to ask.

    PS I thought I would tell you that when I'm short on time I used to read 3 or so blogs but when I'm really shot on time I only read yours. (The rest pile up for a weekend read but daily I read yours.) Figured I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ melissa - thanks!

    @ eek - that's a great idea! I do have a pair of straight gray jeans that I could use.

    @ dennica - thanks, and welcome!

    @ miss studios - you know, I really enjoy the outfits in golf, esp. The guys. I totally loved Graeme MacDowell's coral and gray and Phil Mickelson's black & white from the us open (I think)

    @ colleen - a belt is a good idea...I think my wide gray one would go well! and you are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really like your first outfit (jewel tones look great on everyone!). i recently got a swing jacket too. i was pretty scared of the volume, but it was surprisingly flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is my pleasure that I have the unique opportunity to comment on this awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.