Wednesday, August 1, 2012

One year ago today...


One year ago today, this is what I set my foot into for the first time: our apartment in Miami. We had just come off a 17-day road trip across the country and were finally setting eyes on the place we leased sight unseen, after hunting down banks and FedEx offices in Reno, Nevada. It would be 29 days before any of our furniture arrived, and in that first month without most of our belongings we celebrated our four-year anniversary, K started his new job, and I settled into my one-year freelance experiment.

In our first year we finally bought some real furniture (couches and a dresser to replace hand-me-down futons and rolling plastic drawers), found a group of insta-friends (magnetic happy feelings and all), and scouted out all the best cheap places to park on Miami Beach. Though K has yet to adjust to Miami summers, I am happy as a clam in this climate; in fact, I'm convinced I was made to live in Miami, and am happy to be rid of winter.

Miami feels comfortable. California is comfortable, too, but Miami is no longer a wild card. For the first time in my adult life, a move has not come with an expiration date (graduation). For all I know, this is where we'll grow old and raise children, and though that realization is totally foreign to me, it's not an unpleasant thought.

So here's to Miami, and any place you've adopted as your home. I'm ready to shed my newbie status and embrace being a local.

8 comments:

  1. Aw! Even though we California peeps lost you guys to Miami, this post makes me so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bridget! Can't wait until little O is big enough to come enjoy Florida!

      Delete
  2. Wow it took a long time for all your stuff to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An exciting year, and I'm so with you on embracing your adopted home, whether it's a forever or a few years place. (That awesome Miami weather can't hurt of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I came across your blog a little while back and have been using your outfit posts as my benchmark for dressing professionally-enough but not too "business-y" for my job with a web design/branding company. I live in Birmingham, UK but I'm originally from Miami and it's nice to hear someone saying positive things about my lovely city. Here are some Miami things that make me nostalgic from the UK, in case you haven't already seen 'em:
    http://supermiamibro.tumblr.com/
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtB29gJ6dLQ
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2OLJIbfTm8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I saw the first video, but the others are new...so funny! How do you like the UK? So different from Miami!

      Delete
  5. Wow, time goes by fast! I had a big move this year too...to San Francisco! I just missed you. :( Oh, well.

    We had to wait for our furniture to arrive too. It was fun to have that "we're in this together" feeling. I was so glad to leave the Chicago winters. SF winters are just different.

    I have secret fantasies about living in Orlando and working as a Disney World staff member. Florida is really appealing...well, except for the hurricanes.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.