Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Why I liked being a freelancer





While freelancing wasn't all rainbows and butterflies, but it wasn't all bad, either. There were actually quite a few good things that came out of freelancing.

Finding community and building a network
Prior to moving to Miami, I did not know a single soul here. I had heard about a cousin on K's side of the family, but that was it. So I got to work. I began volunteering at Dress for Success Miami. K and I got to know the long-lost cousins and got plugged into a local church. Now, a year later, I can say that I have some very dear friends here in Miami—people I can text for a quick dinner or shopping trip. Friends (yay). I also got to make connections that weren't only personally fulfilling, but also professionally beneficial. Not only was I finding people who could toss some opportunities my way, but I was also building up my ability to be a resource for others.

Trying new things
There were a lot of firsts during my year as a freelancer, though not all work related. Sure, there was my first BNI meeting (which was great, but I already knew I wasn't staying freelance and it is pricy). My first business proposal. My first homemade gnocchi. My first diaper change. My first speed-friending session and first speed-friending friend. My first nonprofit board experience. My first book proposal (still in progress). And my second in-person glance at a Kardashian.

Refocusing my career
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, freelancing gave me a much better picture of what I want to be doing in life. I learned (a bit late in the game) that I hate grantwriting. It makes me tear my hair out. And just because I'm good at it and it pays well doesn't mean it's what I should be doing. My freelancing experience also reminded me of how much I loved working for a nonprofit that aims to serve others and bring about greater good. While much of my freelance work was still with nonprofits, it also required a lot of time spent concentrating on myself and my business, which to me was a distraction.

Free time
Let's face it. The best part about freelancing was the free time I had when I (1) wasn't drumming up business, which I hated doing, and (2) wasn't working, which I didn't do much of because I wasn't doing (1). This was free time to make our place a little more homey, try out some new projects, hang out with new friends and really just hang out. I was a stay-at-home mom with no kids (and a husband who does his own laundry and ironing—score). After several whirlwind years of full-time work, freelancing on the side, blogging, serving in church, being a wife, flying to see family and friends frequently and other commitments, I was beat. So tired. The past year was pretty refreshing, but I'm ready to get back in the game.

21 comments:

  1. You did speedfriending?! Awesome. The rest is so interesting to hear - I get some of the good stuff as a telecommuter, which I enjoy, but sometimes I miss the work community too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned something from every one of my previous jobs, and you seemed to learn a lot from your time as a freelancer. You're right that trying new things can show us what we like AND what we don't like. For me, I never want to send a permission to reprint request again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you — I've loved some aspects of every job I've ever had. I think I felt afraid to say no to some types of work being sort of new in my career, but now that I have some years under my belt, I definitely feel more confident specializing and delegating. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally get the being beat part. It's good to unwind at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this post was really interesting. I'm glad to hear that you still felt productive during your freelancing career, even though it wasn't what you expected it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. I definitely did enjoy parts of it, but in the end I knew I'd be happier back in an office. :)

      Delete
  5. We’ll show you what precisely the actual issues are usually buying purely, uncomplicated vernacular. We’ll show you what precisely truth is important, swiftly which you your local maintain, auto title loans chicago coupled with allow the attractive personal unsecured loan informed perform what that is known is regarded as give up. We’ll examine ones motor vehicle though you’re submitting the actual quick, uncomplicated applications. You’ll obtain your dollars immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! This really is an informative post to read!!
    Thanks for sharing this nice piece of information with us!!
    Great work!!!
    Buy regular gmail accounts

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are several reasons to start freelancing: Done on the side about your job, it's a way to create additional earnings to pay off the account or save for a stormy day. I'm also doing work as a freelancer in Nursing Assignment Writers I earn the best amount from it. It's affordable to start if you already have the skills and equipment to do the job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I'm Alex, I live in USA working as a UI/UX designer at a reputed firm of USA, We also provides services of Professional Investment Advisor Johns Creek GA
    Real Estate Broker Johns Creek GA in cheap rates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 23 Tribes Casino Hotel Casino, Fort Worth, Texas
    The 23 Tribes Casino Hotel in Fort Worth, Texas has an image 충주 출장샵 of 충주 출장샵 its “Casino,” “Dining,” “Ace,” 아산 출장안마 “Restaurant,” “Casino,” “Beverages” & “Spa” 당진 출장마사지 - 광주 출장샵 the official website.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read your good article. This all about your life and freelance. I hope you will share more updates. Now it's time to avail Locksmith Leeds for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article for me. Its very informative and helpful for freelancer. I get inspiring the writing skills and knowledge able to read. Keep sharing more information about this article. Now it's time to get interior demolition for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read your blog. Very good information for freelancer. I really like your writing technique. Keep sharing more thoughts with us. Now it's time to get warwick taxi for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best Advice for young enthusiast, who wants to pursue their freelancing carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you spent a lots of time in this article. I was searching to read that kind of article and I finally found it. I am impressed by your content. Now its time to avail limousine service Dublin ca for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its a great content to read about freelancing. This is a helpful technique for all the professionals. Selling skills is a art. Now share some more articles on this topic. Have a look at yoga classes in mirdif.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like freelancing gave you the chance to explore new opportunities, build meaningful connections, and gain clarity about your career path. While there were challenges, it seems like the free time and personal growth were major positives. It's great that you found balance and are now ready for the next chapter!
    For more information about click Companies with the Best Brand Awareness

    ReplyDelete
  17. Freelancing sounds like such a journey of self-discovery and growth! It's amazing how it gave you the flexibility to explore new experiences while also refining your career goals. Plus, having the free time to work on passion projects and personal connections is definitely a win. By the way, if you're managing multiple projects, using the download monday app can really help streamline everything!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Had a few neighbors ask who installed our fence. Told them about Vinyl Fence Toronto—top quality work and friendly service. Happy to spread the word.
    For more information, visit us: https://vinylfencetoronto.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.