Monday, April 23, 2012

Patience pays off (Wish list update)

Shopping is a marathon, not a sprint. When I want something (really want, not just sort of want), I'll wait it out until I find the perfect item. During my first year on this blog (the shopping diet), I kept a weekly wish list of things I wanted once my year was up. I did a recap halfway through the diet (October 2010), but have gone pretty quiet since then.

I'm still pretty much working off of that wish list (I know, I'm slow) as well as the "In the Moment" posts I started doing after the shopping diet, so I figured I'd give a quick update, since I just fulfilled some of these within the past 6-8 months.

Black bag (blogged: May 24, 2010; obtained: October 2011)
You heard that right...I finally have a black purse! My in-laws (bless their hearts) give me a generous Amazon.com gift card every year for my birthday, and this time I used it to grab a great leather bag with some stitching detail, shoulder strap, outside pocket and chain hardware. After all was said and done, I only shelled out $5 for shipping.



Wedge heels (blogged: October 11, 2010; obtained: March 2012)
It took a year and a half, but my latest purchase was a pair of coral patent Calvin Klein wedge heels from Marshall's. They were regular Marshall's price; lower than retail, but more than I would normally spend on shoes. Total cost: $40.



Vest (blogged: October 25, 2010; obtained: summer 2011)
I picked one up at a Swap Asana, was handed down another by my friend Stephanie, and got another from my mom, all of this last summer. And just like that, I have three vests. Total cost: $0.



Black skinny pants (blogged: January 24, 2011; obtained: December 2011)
I hit gold with Gap's 1969 line (specifically the high-waisted skinny pants), but the $69.99 price tag completely turned me off. I salemarked it, and just before Christmas, the price dropped down to $35. That same day, my brother was bugging me about what I wanted for Christmas, so I just forwarded the link. The pants arrived two days later. Merry Christmas! Total cost: $0



The Happiness Project (blogged: April 25, 2011; obtained: December 2011)
I picked this up at the Miami International Book Fair for $8. Great book. See my thoughts on it here.

Green nail polish (blogged: July 11, 2011; obtained: April 2012)
Ulta's clearance rack has been a boon for me. My two new favorite nail polishes were found there: Revlon's Craving Coral ($3) and Orly's Wandering Vine ($4). It's not my typical Wet N' Wild, but I really love these colors.

Items I'm still on the lookout for: gray pencil skirtshort-sleeve crew-neck sweater, white pants, three-quarter sleeve blazer (preferably in a springy color), skinny trousers (oh so elusive), leather jacket. At the rate I'm going, this list will last me a few more years.

By the way, if you haven't tried salemarked yet, I'd highly recommend it. It's a bookmarklet that let's you track an item and get an email notification when it hits a certain price (whatever you'd like it to be). Right now it only works with some retailers (but they're good ones, like Gap, BR, Macy's, etc.), but it definitely beats having to check a bunch of sites regularly or wasting money by buying things full price. They're not paying me to say this (they don't even know I exist), but I just thought I'd pass on the knowledge.

7 comments:

  1. For skinny trousers, check out Gap - they have a pair of their "premium pants" in a really skinny cut (their words, not mine). I bought a pair during a F&F sale a while back and love them! They hold their color really well and are study. I dry clean mine to keep them looking crisp, but I've washed them in the machine once when I was in a pinch and after an iron they looked great.

    I know The Limited also has a skinny cut trouser - I haven't tried them on, and in the past I've been a little dissapointed with how their slacks launder (basically you have to dry clean them), but you might want to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried on those fabulous wedges at TJ Maxx since they fit one of the categories on my search list (red shoes), but I passed them up - and I totally should not have. Sometimes these tendencies to keep searching for just the right thing are very helpful in being purposeful and not going overboard with the shopping, but sometimes they leave me kicking myself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you're able to fulfill some on your wishlist. I spend a lot of time analyzing my shopping habits because not only is it fun to see where to find great fashion items, but I’ve realized that turning a budget into a game makes it much more manageable. Good luck and I hope you'll be able to fulfill everything on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea to prevent impulse-shopping.

    Love the coral wedges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure that it prevents impulse-shopping so much, but it does give me a goal. I like to shop fast and it helps to have something in mind.

      Delete
  5. I never keep track of my wish lists.

    I have to try that salemark thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angeline,

    Thank you so much for writing about Salemarked. We are glad that our service has helped you save a lot of money on your quest for outfit.

    If you have any feedback or concern, please don't hesitant to email me directly - koes at salemarked.

    Koes Bong
    CEO/Co-Founder
    @koesbong/@salemarked

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.