Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer Staples: The one-piece swimsuit

This isn't really a work staple, per se, but it's hard to go a summer without putting on a swimsuit at least once. We've touched on swimwear and business before, but what about purely social events where coworkers are present? Pool parties, lake sports, beach bonfires—what's a lady to do?

One-piece swimsuits tend to harken Speedo, but they are making a huge comeback with new and retro styles. As a child, I remember my mom always looking glamorous by the pool in a fuchsia ruched halter suit (almost exactly like the Eliza from Rey Swimwear). I took the plunge and grabbed a one-piece last year, which I've used for situations that need a little more coverage and that are a little more sporty (like kayaking).

Things to look for in a one-piece:
  • Movement. Run in place in the dressing room, sit down, get up. Does your suit stay in place? Having to constantly adjust is more than just annoying—it can also draw unwanted attention to the uncomfortable areas.
  • Coverage. When it comes to swimwear, you have to think beyond just covering the mid-section or too much cleavage. Make sure the color isn't light enough to see through, and that there is enough coverage on top if you're prone to fripplage.
  • Rewearability. Have fun with your one-piece, and you may find yourself wearing it more often. Plus, confidence always looks good.
  • Tankini. If you prefer, a tankini can mimic a one-piece in coverage. If your top and bottom are different sizes, or if you have a long torso, this is a great alternative to common one-piece problems.
Some fun one-pieces (and a tankini) from around the web:
1. Tommy Hilfiger, $48 — 2. Merona, $35 — 3. Gap, $30 — 4. Land's End Canvas tankini, $90


Do you keep a one-piece handy? What do you look for in a swimsuit?

12 comments:

  1. First, "fripplage" cracks me up! Anyway... I had to order a new one-piece this year and I think I may have found the perfect way to swimsuit shop. I ordered three different suits in both of my possible sizes from Target.com and tried them on at home. I got free shipping and just returned the suits I didn't want to the store. That way there is no weird dressing room lighting, you can read reviews, and you can actually take your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! I do that with Target orders, too, since the free shipping threshold is only $50 and almost everything can be returned to the store. That's how I decided on the suit I bought last year (ordered 2 in different colors).

      Delete
  2. With respect to your comment about tankinis for those with long torsos (of which I am one), I learned about this little gem from J. Crew - one-piece bathing suits in a long-torso size!

    http://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/specialswimsizes/longtorso/PRDOVR~39655/39655.jsp

    I couldn't be happier! I went with the charcoal color - the suit fits great, covers what needs to be covered, and is extremely comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome tip! I always forget to check special sizes online (probably because I don't like shopping online to begin with), but it is definitely good to remember they exist!

      Delete
  3. yeah, i think a skimpy two-piece wouldn't quite be appropriate for a business trip. tho i'm much more comfortable in my 2-piece than in my 1-piece.

    i feel like somehow (i usually travel with my teammates, not work people) if i wear a 1-piece it shows that i'm uncomfortable with my body, so more people would pay attention to it. if i just wear a bikini then i'm fine with the way i look (tho, of course, i'm not totally) and so people won't notice my flaws. ...i guess it's a projection of confidence thing. ...or i'm just weird and over think everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a two-piece girl myself, and I am pretty comfortable with my body, too. I don't think people would really pay attention to a one-piece (or at least idealistic me doesn't think they should). To be honest, I think the little "flaws" most women identify as keeping them from wearing a bikini or two-piece are usually just personal hang-ups, which doesn't make them any less valid, but I just don't think other people will notice or judge. I think it's interesting that to combat that you go the two-piece route, whereas some people I know go the other way (or refuse to do swimwear at all). That said, I think people should go with whatever they're comfortable with when it comes to personal swim/beach time.

      Delete
  4. I have a chocolate brown halter-style one piece swimsuit. I'm a lot more confident in it than I am in a skimpy bikini. I'm kind of over the idea of needing to look sexy at the pool, and I just wanted something that I won't have to adjust all day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to get myself a one-piece - which I've been thinking since a couple years ago when I had a work conference in Brazil and we all went to the beach for a day at the end. Including my boss. Good to just have a one-piece around in case of the occasional situation like this! My extended family shares a beach cottage, and I wear bikinis around all of them, which I think is totally fine, but sometimes more coverage could be good around people like your grandma too, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  6. just reread this post and really like that you picked model #4. she's much more normal sized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not a fan of the skinny model either, and that suit is really flattering!

      Delete
  7. A one piece is definitely a good choice when it comes to comfort and style. They are perfect for those days when you are feeling a like a bit more cover, but still sexy appeal.

    ReplyDelete

Like this? Leave a comment!
Comments with emails attached will receive emailed replies; otherwise replies will be added below the original comment.